Author Topic: Anyone speak TPS?  (Read 12116 times)

brucekfoster@hotmail.com

Anyone speak TPS?
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:26:42 AM »
Okay, I'm trying to track down an issue with my 2009 R1200GS Adv. Intermittently it will develop a rough idle and eventually die. It always restarts and seems to run fine off idle. It can go weeks without doing this and usually clears up next ride, but is super irritating in traffic or in stop and go.

Bikes tuned and adjusted and like I say most of the time it idles perfectly.

I've started using the GS-911 and my cell to capture log files to see if anything jumps out at me.

So here's my question. In the 3 images below are the real-time capture of the Throttle Valve Position (TPS)% from yesterday's ride. The third image down show a 2.5 minute time where the value doesn't really change and I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on why this would happen.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: Anyone speak TPS?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »
Is the data in the 3rd image also taken during a ride?

If so, I would say your TPS is a little dicky.  Take it off and attack it with some contact cleaner spray.  Use it liberally!

Use a screwdriver to rotate the TPS mechanism up and down a few times.

Then re-assembly and retry logging the data.

Would be interesting to see what your data would look like for a smooth control of the throttle from closed to fully open and back.

It should look something like this:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:38:43 AM by Jughead »

brucekfoster@hotmail.com

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
Is the data in the 3rd image also taken during a ride?

If so, I would say your TPS is a little dicky.  Take it off and attack it with some contact cleaner spray.  Use it liberally!

Use a screwdriver to rotate the TPS mechanism up and down a few times.

Then re-assembly and retry logging the data.

Would be interesting to see what your data would look like for a smooth control of the throttle from closed to fully open and back.

It should look something like this:

Yes, I was riding, 6th gear for most of the log file.  I started logging from a stop so just the very beginning was not 6th.

I removed the TPS, cleaned it (it was very clean. no dirt or oxidation). 

I notice the plastic piece that fits on the butterfly valve shaft is very sloppy in the housing. Video here:

http://s354.photobucket.com/user/brucekfoster/media/TPS%20Woes/CAM00018_zpsb6ce9f32.mp4.html

I don't know if that's normal.

I am attaching a plot of the TPS values as I opened and closed the throttle very slowly (20 sec. +/- to open and  20 sec. +/- to close while logging at turbo sampling rate) three times.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:12:58 PM by brucekfoster@hotmail.com »

Haakon

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:06:52 AM »
Maybe its the idle actuator(s) ?
2000 F650-GS

bikecrazy5

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »
hi guys
might be a stupid question but as i have learned the hard way the only stupid question is that one that was not asked...
have u re-calibrated  the tps and re calibrated idle actuators

Haakon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:17:13 PM »
A even more stupid question:
Is there any real reason to calibrate TPS and Iddle actuator?
I have the impression the ECU is self learning and self adapting?
(meaning, that both will read and learn new values real fast, while riding?)
If parts have been exchanged or by other reasons give other values than earlier, the ECU will self adapt?
(For older bikes the easy way to reset the TPS was to turn on the ignition and then turn the throttle slowly from max to min 3 times- adaption done)
Maybe just heresay and superstious....?
Same with the iddle actuator- a working O2 sensor (Lambda sensor)will help the ECU establish and learn the actuator settings. A bit more difficult than TPS but basically thr same thing. 

I
hi guys
might be a stupid question but as i have learned the hard way the only stupid question is that one that was not asked...
2000 F650-GS

brucekfoster@hotmail.com

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 05:44:04 AM »
hi guys

Yeah. I do the idle acuator calibration every service and I did it just a few days ago.

A even more stupid question:
Is there any real reason to calibrate TPS and Iddle actuator?
I have the impression the ECU is self learning and self adapting?
(meaning, that both will read and learn new values real fast, while riding?)
If parts have been exchanged or by other reasons give other values than earlier, the ECU will self adapt?
(For older bikes the easy way to reset the TPS was to turn on the ignition and then turn the throttle slowly from max to min 3 times- adaption done)
Maybe just heresay and superstious....?
Same with the iddle actuator- a working O2 sensor (Lambda sensor)will help the ECU establish and learn the actuator settings. A bit more difficult than TPS but basically thr same thing. 

I don't know about the acuators but the TPS seems to learn pretty quick.

I don't know if I will ever figure this out.  I did 200 miles today and it ran perfect.  It is the intermittent nature of the problem that drives me crazy.  Runs /idles perfect for weeks then won't idle at all then magically returns to a perfect tune.  Great fun.