Author Topic: Tyre Pressure TPMS / Wake-Up tool for RDC  (Read 78627 times)

e7navy1999

Re: Tyre Pressure TPMS / Wake-Up tool for RDC
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
Well said Inspector Gadget.  I did order in some 2050's.  Expect delivery tomorrow.  I currently have a 2032 in the front tire and a 2032 in the rear but ....I did not glue it secure enough so it spun loose after 50 miles at 90mph.  My bad as I epoxied it to the rim next to the TPMS module.  The front tire I glued it inside the TMPS module so the centrifugal forces will hold into the TPMS pocket.  Breaking the old glue out of the TPMS module is a piece of cake.  The rear took my about 40 minutes because it was I first attempt and I had no vice to hold it steady.  The front TMPS glue removal took about 3 minutes but also because I had a sturdy vice to grab it. 

e7navy1999

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2018, 11:57:33 PM »
I installed the CR2050 in the rear tire.  I did discover an interesting issue.  When your console shows RED color rear tire (...I assume also a RED front) where the pressure number is place...you will absolutly need the GS911 to clear your fault codes before the sensor will wake up.  I tried depressurization and my wake up tool, neither worked until I used the GS911 to clear the fault.  Once I cleared the fault code the TPMS woke up and it read the correct pressure.  After all this effort now the TMPS reads dead on.  PERFECT 40PSI.  So the CR2032 worked but the pressure was still off as per my previous post.  With the CR2050 PERFECT with al three gauges as well as the console.  SCORE.   

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »
I have had a few pressure monitors that read way more than the actual pressure.  What I then do is to deflate the tyre completely (i.e. Remove the valve core).  Let it sit for a few minutes and then use the wake-up tool to wake it up.  Pressure reading is then "0".  Reinflate the tyre and it usually then reads spot-on.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
Good finds, will be helpful for future readers of this thread!

Also thank you for your persistence!
Kudos for that!

I would take a (very) wild guess that it possible also depends to a certain extend on which bike-model (and the RDC/Alarm-combined unit) how it behaves with reading the sensor before clearing the fault-code(s).
But on the other hand I wouldn't be too much surprised if this is "normal" behaviour under these circumstances, as undoubtedly BMW expects you to go to the BMW repair shop to get the sensor(s) replaced, learned-in and any errors in the "logs" to be cleared. And pay a hefty bill before you can step outside...

Also a Thank You to @Jughead!!

I do wonder if this "auto-zeroing" is done by the sensor itself or the RDC/Alarm-unit on the bike?
It does make sense to me, to "compensate" for barometric variations around the world? Perhaps?

e7navy1999

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
The calibration function would be handy.  I am at 5000ft.  The bike is a K1600gtl 2012, 62k miles.  I did purchase the Chinese TPMS units listed on ebay and now have them but there was no need to install them. They are about $25 bucks each free freight.    They look identical to the BMW TPMS and even have a code on them.   Anyway it has been a week and all it well.  I am glad that I bought the GS911.  It has come in handy 3 time this past year.  Once for oil change code, once for electrical fault when my PIS flood lamp was hit by a rock and the third time to reset the TPMS fault.  It already paid for itself!  Bottom line: I gratefully thank GS911 for helping me save my kidney and liver from being sold off to pay the hefty BMW fees!

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »
I live at 3.7 meters (little over 12 feet) above sea-level (The Netherlands, the flat-pancake country) according to survey-details
So I can imagine with such huge differences the TPMS will have some substantial deviation on the "accuracy" of measurement.
(see also for example: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html if it has your further interests)

Excellent, glad you like the GS911, I love it too!
I bought my GS911 back in 2011 and helped out many mates & sometimes even complete strangers.
With the amount of money I saved on "BMW bills" I can only imagine.  ;D
But then I'm a firm believer that when you help others and do good, you get good or help in this live and beyond.

I also believe that Jughead's findings should be added to the TPMS info-page for future reference.

Larsen3000

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
I was able to add new wheels with TPMS sensors to my K1600GT with this wake up tool. Worked perfectly. Seems to operate at the 433 MHz frequency.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EL-50448-TPMS-Activation-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-Sensor-Battery-for-SPX-GM-Car/332311410151?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:05:47 PM by Larsen3000 »

e7navy1999

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
can you explain how you got the EL-50448 to work?  I bought one but it does not seem to do anything..a red light comes on when i press the button is all.  I used my GS911 and it works great but most riders can not afford the GS911

e7navy1999

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
Update on the 2050 TPMS battery: During the cold winter months the 2050 Battery does not seem to works so great.  It takes about 20 miles before it wakes up when the weather is below 22 degrees F.  The 2030 battery seems to work like the OEM but I worry it is much thinner and will not last nearly as long

Larsen3000

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2019, 09:04:20 PM »
E7navy1999 I did not have any problems getting it to work. Placed right against the tire near tpms then pressed button. I think the rear tire I actually  placed it on the valve stem and pushed the button. My GS-911 read it instantly as soon the tpms activated. I was able to learn both wheel in less than a minute. I was shocked. Went very well.

e7navy1999

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »
Thanks, did you have the key in the on position I assume?  I will try mine tonight again.  I like to check my tire pressure before I go on a ride and the way BMW has it you have to go on a short ride before you can read the tire pressure...sort of backwards

Larsen3000

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2019, 10:09:57 PM »
eNavy1999 Yes key was on. Switch on bars in off position. I did not have any problems. I usually just set the pressure with my tire gauge anyway. It usually is pretty close when you first start out to what set it. But as tires warm it will increase a little. I guess the real benefit of TPMS is if you pickup a nail or something it will warn you as soon as the pressure drops too low. Nice safety feature.. My GS did this once when I was leaving for work one morning. Saved me a roadside repair. I just put the bike back up and fixed it that evening.

e7navy1999

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »
Thanks Larson3000.  Last two times I got a flat I used this repair kit.  No glues, no hastles,  just use spit:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBE7KAM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1   The bigger holes I had to use 3 plugs to fill it but it held for over 50 miles

GS Jim

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2019, 12:48:38 AM »
Hello e7navey1999, there should be two lights, one green one red. The red is low battery, the green should flash when you push the button. This unit also works on cars and trucks. I've used it on chevs and GMCs

kardano

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2019, 01:01:37 PM »
I did not understand if it is possible to calibrate the reading of the sensors or they are calibrated only at the factory... ::)