Author Topic: K1200S/GT Fuel Strips  (Read 8607 times)

slangford

K1200S/GT Fuel Strips
« on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a new GS-911 user, am having to use the beta version (1406, I think) because I'm trying to sort out fuel sensors. The GS-911 is connected direct to my laptop via USB.  I had 2 bikes with fuel sensor problems - a 2006 K1200S with a dead sensor, which has been replaced calibrated successfully, and now works OK. Also have a 2007 K1200GT. The fuel sensor on this does work to some extent - it starts off showing a range of 240 miles, but by the time the tank is empty, it's still showing 150 miles or so. Since the sensor is clearly doing something, I figured it was a calibration issue. Followed the BMW procedure, out the tank, dried off overnight, tried to calibrate it the next day. It goes through the calibration procedure. At around 60%, the gauge on the dashboard changes from half full to empty (ie the correct reading). BUT, at the end of the process, the computer attached to the GS-911 says 'Calibration failed'. The bike was connected to the charger throughout, and v_ignition never dropped below 12.83v.

After switching the ignition off & on again, the fuel gauge was back to the wrong reading - tank half full, when it was actually empty. I tried calibration again, same result - 60% through the gauge read accurate until the ignition is cycles when it goes back to the wrong reading.

Does anyone else have experience of this calibration failed error? Anyone know how to get this gauge calibrated correctly, before I decide it's a bad sensor and throw it away?

Thanks

Steve
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:11:28 PM by slangford »

bikecrazy5

Re: K1200S/GT Fuel Strips
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
hi steve
fuel strip calibration is a pain done quite a few

when you calibrating the strip is in the tank or hanging out? if its in the tank is the tank empty and more or less dry
the calibration must be done while the fuel strip is dry ....
what i do is calibrate hanging out the tank then re insert it and fill the tank works every time unless strip is faulty