Author Topic: K1200 LT Integral brake system  (Read 8869 times)

Airportech

K1200 LT Integral brake system
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »
Hi I have a K1200 LT with a fault that has been diagnosed using my newly acquired GS 911 it shows an ABS fault code 17438 it suggests that I might have air in the rear brake circuit, am I correct in thinking that a brake modulator bleed can be carried out using the GS 911. I never noticed that I could when I had it connected, could someone point me in the right direction please.
Thanks Bren

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: K1200 LT Integral brake system
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:04:12 AM »
Will need to know a little more.

Post an Autoscan.

What model is your LT?

Servo assisted ABS or iABSII?

Airportech

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Hi thanks for your response I won't be able to send an autoscan until Monday, the LT is an 05 with integral brakes power brakes it's the later type with the brake modulator reservoirs mounted on the servo unit on the left hand side of the bike. Thanks for your interest Bren

Airportech

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:57:52 PM »
hi ive just nipped up to the garage and got the autoscan data, i thought it would be harder to do than it was. :)

thanks Bren

andres14725

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 02:32:28 AM »
You cannot bleed the brake modulator circuit with the GS911. You can only do a bleed test that will show you if there is air or a slow leak in the brake system, for example a leaking hose or fitting, or a failing master cylinder. There is a specific procedure to bleed the brakes, both the wheel circuit and the control circuits. If you do a web search you'll find several links to forums that contain detailed instructions on how to bleed the iABS system.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:34:18 AM by andres14725 »

Airportech

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »
Thanks for your reply the brakes got more and more unreliable, I bought a secondhand iabs unit which was worse than the one I've taken off so I've done away with the system altogether. I've repiped the brakes and they work ok removed the ABS warning light relay and the other warning light circuit I just need to work out why the brake lights are on all the time, but I'm getting there.

Cheers Bren

andres14725

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
The brake light on the LT is controlled by the ABS Modulator. If the light stays on you could have a sticking brake switch, a faulty brake relay or a problem within the ABS Modulator. If you removed the ABS Modulator you'll need to adapt the wiring from the switches at the brake levers to the brake light relay in order to bypass the ABS Modulator. The feed to the relay is not switched and a faulty relay could therefore keep the brake light on. And finally, I seem to recall that the brake switches are of the normally closed type to work with the ABS logic, so if you are removing the ABS you may need to replace the brake switches.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:03:40 PM by andres14725 »

Airportech

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »
Your right the brakes have a normally closed type switch I have had the fuel tank off to remove the ABS relay so I may have to remove the tank again to remove the brake light relay, because the relay is permanently live it might overheat and the fuel tank is above it (fire risk) so if I remove that I will have to wire up the brakes differently, I will be glad when it's back on the road, thanks for your interest and input.