Author Topic: Just received my GS-911 WiFi.  (Read 6542 times)

ke4yyq

Just received my GS-911 WiFi.
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
Can I assume that after I have registered the device , I can use it on the bike without a WiFi connection.
I have downloaded the app on my Apple phone. I’d really like to be able to use this while on trips. Away from internet sevice. Using the phone to connect to the GS-911wifi

GS Jim

Re: Just received my GS-911 WiFi.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:56:30 PM »
Yes you can, you put it in D2D mode and use your phone. The PC app and wifi utility have more functions though. These also can be used without a internet connection but you have to carry a tablet or laptop with you. I carry a Asus T100 Transformer (Win 10) on long trips.

ke4yyq

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:12:32 AM »
Thanks. Registering the unit now. Hope to get good use out of it.  :)

GS Jim

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »
I assume you do have some form of PC/Mac whatever, you will want to use them to keep updated. The forum will let you know when updates come out or you can click on "check for updates" in the App or Utility.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:54 AM »
Can I assume that after I have registered the device , I can use it on the bike without a WiFi connection.
I have downloaded the app on my Apple phone. I’d really like to be able to use this while on trips. Away from internet sevice. Using the phone to connect to the GS-911wifi

In this configuration the unit will allow you to diagnose and read/clear fault codes.  It however lacks the cloud services functionality as your smartphone (being very smart) will not allow more than 1 concurrent external connection.  So, while connected to the GS911, you will not have any internet connectivity.

As a workaround to this, I carry a small WiFi dongle which acts as a router and provides the needed internet access for cloud services.