Author Topic: ABS Braking System  (Read 17400 times)

kjhunt

ABS Braking System
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:44:56 AM »
Merry Christmas one and all.
Any help advice would be welcome please.
GS1150 Adventure. The rear brake failed and ABS light flashed away. Getting home found that the fault was 17438 Pressure in Rear Wheel Circuit high. So that means what?
Can it be fixed with out a days ride to BMW service, and if so what does one do please.
Any advice, help would be grateful.
Many thanks Ken Hunt.

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
Re: ABS Braking System
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »
hi Ken, pls post a full AutoScan

currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

kjhunt

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
Hi there thanks for your reply. Sorry not able to get copies of what is shown on the computer screen as I cannot find a way to do so. So I took a picture with a poor cell phone camera which is enclosed. Found now that the picture fileis too large to be send, so have included the results below.
The Pressure Front wheel Control was around 16.90 bars.
The Pressure Rear Wheel Control was around 29.33 bars
The Pressure Front Wheel Circuit was around 17.91 bars
The Pressure Rear Wheel Circuit was around 19.52 bars
I hope that is of some help.
Ken

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
hi Ken

no picture enclosed and I still need the full AutoScan pls... it tells us a lot about the exact model, variant, year, type of control units, faultcode status etc..

save it as html... then open that html file in a browser (just click on it) then highlight the all the info in the Autoscan, copy it (Ctrl-C) and paste (Cntr-V) it into your post

best
Stephan
currently riding:

kjhunt

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
OK Stephan,
Will try what you said but has to be tomorrow now as its late afternoon and getting dark. When the auto scan was up and running I tried clicking on html file at the top of the screen but nothing opened up.
I will see how it goes tomorrow.
Many thanks for for your help in this matter.
Ken.

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
there is a button that says SAVE as html...

then it is a file... saved somewhere on your PC... then you use your Windows Explorer and click on the file... (or double click in the way of Windows...)

best
Stephan
currently riding:

kjhunt

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
Hello there Stephan, good afternoo to you. Sometimes I cannot see the wood for the trees. Its just dawned on me I was doing things all wrong, found the Auto Scan and now done one. Pleased fined enclosed. Sorry to mess you about.
Ken.

AutoScan Report
GS-911 version: 1303.3 Datapack version:1.2 Serial Number: GS60235811 Registered to: Kenneth J Hunt
Date: 21/12/2013 Time: 15:32:58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motorcycle Information

VIN: 
Mileage: Not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motronic MA2.4Motorcycle Variant: R1150R/GS ECE+US 
Part No.: 7680000
Bosch Part Number: 0261207869
ECU Software Number: 1037367353
ECU coding variant: 0
ECU program version: 48000200
Manufacturer: Bosch
HWOE No.: 26006934
Idle Actuator: No
Emissions control type: Lambda

No fault codes found

Integral ABSPart No.: 7660909
Hardware Version No.: 16
Manufacturing date(YYYY/mm/dd): 2003/02/09
HWOE No.: 25321790
Software Version: 4.1.5
Manufacturer: FTE
Part No.: 37012055
Serial No.: 22221
Host date(YYYY/mm/dd): 2002/01/23
Control computer date(YYYY/mm/dd): 1999/09/10
Control computer version: V01.63
EPROM version: 49
Control computer ROM checksum 78

1 fault codes found:

17438 Pressure in rear wheel circuit to high
The fault is currently present.

schuppi

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
Hello
Please try to change the brakefluid in both circuits and be sure that the pistons of the brakecylinders run to their end position.
Maybe the rear cylinder is under the rubber bellow full of rust and oxidation.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

kjhunt

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:40 AM »
OK many thanks for that will try later today as have roof repairs to be doing first. Again many thanks.... Ken

Mission

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »
Hi Ken

You have exactly the same fault/error code as I started out with on my 2004 K1200RS, but mine showed 60.5 bar in rear circuit. If you read the other posts you will see that I have been through just about every thing possible to fix the problem, including complete dissasembly of the iABS module to clean out the crud that was in it(yes it had supposedly been flushed by the dealer). I hope that your bike is not terminal like mine as I now have totally random brakes and warning lights, its rather exciting to go for a big grab of manual front brake to make a normal stop only to discover that the system has decided to work again !

On the plus side the people at Module Master in the USA emailed me last week to advise that they have finally been able to have the special parts made for our iABS modules and to call them back in late January for a possible repair soon after.

I have done the rounds of the companies here in Australia that do ABS modules and they all know about the problem but  cannot source the parts (piezo resistors and circuit board), full credit to the US guys for having them manufactured.

I have now completely disconnected the rear circuit and temporarily made it full manual and use the power/manual/nothing front brake with great care and putt around like I am on a Lambretta.

How come I have just ridden 2965 kilometers(Canberra to Cairns) on my wifes ST1100 and it just keeps on going perfectly ! !

Good luck

Jim

kjhunt

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 01:56:38 AM »
Hello Mate well thank you for that information there. I have not got around to looking at the brakes and changing the fluids as of yet. I will keep my fingers crossed and see what happens. I am not keen to be taking it to the "BMW" service lot as its a days ride and cost an arm and a leg there, and they are not that great either, since BMW up and left the Philippines some year back
Again thanks for letting me know. Have fun Ken....

kjhunt

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 05:32:20 AM »
Jim hi. Any advice on a good brake bleeder kits for abs breaks? More I read into all this more confusing it all gets. Being here in the Philippines does not help matters either, lack of every thing here! Should have stayed in the UK......
Many thanks Ken

smiggss

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
After bleeding my brakes on my gs1150 iabs 2003, all ok brakes bled but lost servo completely
on front and rear circuit,  and brake light now constantly on.
Brake failure warning on dash flashing 4 to a second
residual brakes only
Bought a gs 9-11 and although it didn't point directly to the problem it did help.
It told me that the rear brake was applied.
I looked at the usual stuff, rear brake pedal switch stuck or broke.
All pressures ok in system
fluid level all ok
Then it occurred to me that the rear brake is controlled by the abs unit
which is connected by the large multi pin plug on top of abs unit, I examined this closely
and found that when I put the large plug back on the plug actually pushed one of the pins in the socket slightly down in to the socket, so the plug failed to make a connection with the socket.
Remedy was to get my long nose pliers and just pull the pin back up slightly, connected the plug
and everything solved in a instant.
I wonder how many others have had the same problem and not found it, forcing them to remove the servo and abs, I have been reading lots of forums and lots have people have had this problem, but none have mentioned this solution.
Anyway I am now one happy bunny thank you gs 911
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:45:58 PM by smiggss »

kjhunt

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 01:39:52 AM »
Hello there and thanks for that information, was interesting and yes wonder how many others around the globe might have just had the same fault.
It seems that for now all is OK. I washed the bike and in doing so also cleaned around the rear brake with a paint brush, and I thought well lets see if the problem is still there and found it had sorted itself out. So for the past month all has been OK. Hope its stays that way.
Again thanks for your information.
Ken