Author Topic: Downloader won't run on my Samsung S3  (Read 15839 times)

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
Downloader won't run on my Samsung S3
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
I'm trying to run the 'downloader" on my Samsung S3 and the file will not open. I clicked on the box that allows for other software to be run but to no avail. Suggestions?
Ernie
;)
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Xchallenge

Re: Downloader won't run on my Samsung S3
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
@ErnieA,

The sarcasm is misplaced. Stefan already did tell you to what to do. Apart from clearly stating that the Downloader software does not run on Android or other mobile devices, the highlighted text also instructs you to "...read the F.A.Q.".

If you had followed that instruction, you would among other things have learned "This is a PC based application that ONLY runs on a Windows PC.". Once you have located the necessary equipment (a Windows PC), there are also ideas on how you could transfer the downloaded software to your mobile device in that F.A.Q.

I guess what you should do is as simple as reading the instructions given, and then follow them.

ErnieA

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »
I'll re-phrase: All I needed was a little prompting to the part where you can't download directly to the phone within its own browser. Email it to the device and download it from an email. Got it. Now to get it to recognize the Bluetooth on the phone then work. Don't worry, I'll find it myself.
  ;)

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
I'll re-phrase: All I needed was a little prompting to the part where you can't download directly to the phone within its own browser. Email it to the device and download it from an email. Got it. Now to get it to recognize the Bluetooth on the phone then work. Don't worry, I'll find it myself.
  ;)
on any Android device, you should first look at the Google Play Store...
here you go:
 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hexcode.gs911mobile

best,
Stephan
currently riding:

Rainman

Google Play charges for GS-911
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
So,... why does Google Play charge $9.99 to download the GS-911 software directly to your Android phone, when you can get it for free from the Hexcode site?   :(

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
Re: Google Play charges for GS-911
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
So,... why does Google Play charge $9.99 to download the GS-911 software directly to your Android phone, when you can get it for free from the Hexcode site?   :(
Because when we started this project, there was GS-911 for the Windows PC... and on the mobile side there was the Java midlet app that ran on midlet enabled phones like the Nokias etc...

Since then hundreds and maybe thousands of hours have gone into further development of GS-911.. not just the Windows PC functionality, but also the additions of other mobile OS's.. like Android...

On the PC side, we supported the reading and clearing of fault codes and ECU info... It has come a long way since the... And best of all, we have not asked anyone a single cent for additional functionality...

You will also note that we have reserved the right to charge for updates (right from the very start before we release the very first unit - see  http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/what-do-upgrades-cost), but have never done so...

So... now the Android App is on the Google Play store for $9.99... see it as a contribution to the current and future development... somewhat of a donation... as you don't have to use it, as you CAN download it from our website for FREE... However, there are a number of people that don't mind making the "donation" for the sake of convenience... and in doing so, supporting our development efforts...

best,
Stephan
currently riding:

bogboy

• My dad on BSA in the 50's
Re: Google Play charges for GS-911
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 02:34:29 AM »

I just picked up the gs-911 and it works awesome. Seriously, $9.99 is peanuts for what you get here. I asked 2 local dealers if they would reset reminder and check faults . 1 said no unless I have them do oil change and maintenance about $300 and other would let me do maintenance but $110 for fault check and reminder change. I have no problem with people making money but I enjoy having a bit of freedom. I have a 2010 F800GS with 8000 miles. Surprisingly , no faults at all but heated grips fault, whatever that means  . I 've had the bike for 6 months and have done 4500 miles. This is a great tool

bevhoward

• Rebecca & Beverly, Partners
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:15 PM »
Because when we started this project, there was GS-911 for the Windows PC...

Sorry... but I have to input some strong feelings on this as well.

I purchased the gs911 (bluetooth version) shortly after it was introduced (May, 2007?... think the total costs with air shipping from south africa ended up being around, or possibly over, $400)

I purchased this model _specifically_ because it was presented as being compatible with windows mobile devices.

Long story short, I never got it to work after trying it on multiple windows mobile devices and even purchased a used blackberry but that turned out to be incompatible as well.  These unsuccessful attempts covered years.  When I switched to iOS, it quickly became obvious that there was no technical path around iOS's bluetooth implimentation for the gs911.

So, I retreated and installed the pc software on my laptop, _but_ I found that the windows version at that time did not connect using bluetooth, so it required required using a usb cable to connect with the device...

...which, as everyone knows is a major pita plus the fact that I had paid a premium to get the bluetooth version specifically because it was for motorcycles.  Obviously, no performance values could be logged when the bike was in motion or when miles away from the computer containing the software.

Those factors essentially transformed the gs911 into a $400+ model boat anchor, so, I finally gave up, put my tail between my legs but checked back in every year or so to see if any new options were available and, today, found the android version.

To be blunt, when I saw the $10 price, that information was received as one more kick in the gut by hexcode.

I went ahead and purchased the app anyway since there were no other apparent options to even see if it was going to work with my phone... there is nothing about download options on the google play site and the download page doesn't seem to offer the free download option mentioned above.

So, it will be a day or so before I find out if I now have a $410+ model boat anchor.

As a professional database programmer, I hear and understand gs911's feelings about the development time and money that went into the android app, but, I have to say, I would never treat my customers the way I feel that I have been treated since purchasing this (potentially valuable) product and its associated software.

I feel very strongly that charging customers who have paid hundreds of dollars for a product, that was supposed to function with mobile devices on day one, additional money down the line when a working product is finally available is a very poor decision.

Very sincerely,
Beverly Howard

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:42:17 PM by bevhoward »

bevhoward

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:01 AM »
fwiw, took a trip over to a friend's place who has a 1200gs and happy to report that the gs-911 worked fine with that bike and my Nexus4.  (the pairing code is "0000")

While I am happy that I now have a functional tool, my feelings about having to pay for the android app posted above still stand.

Beverly Howard

Haakon

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
I am a "noob" re smartphones.
Have been using my bluetooth GS911 with my PC and "stupid" (ancient) phone.
A week ago I recieved a Android 4.2 "smartphone".
I was told it was "locked" to GooglePlay apps only.
I had no problem whatsoever to install the free Hexcode app.
(I was prepared to pay the mniimal 10$ fee but did not have to :-)
--------------
I am happy yours work now :-)
My question to you:
The Hexcode site has a long list of phones that "work" and also a lot of cautions that some phones will be troublesome.
You are a profecional? I could not use the "0000" pairing code. I had to update my GS911 so I could use another code.
Anyways- happy it works for you!
Haakon

2000 F650-GS

bevhoward

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 11:27:37 PM »
The Hexcode site has a long list of phones that "work" and also a lot of cautions that some phones will be troublesome.

Part of the problem is that I was an early (2007) adopter, so, at that point, there wasn't a definitive list and getting things to work with the phones was pretty much up to the user... I did a lot of tinkering including updating the bluetooth stack which was not even supposed to be possible at that time.

I could not use the "0000" pairing code. I had to update my GS911 so I could use another code.

The pairing process was not that clear within the gs911 app.

It was necessary for me to leave the app, open bluetooth settings and re-scan for devices to get the Nexus to "see" the gs911. 

If the gs911 was previously "paired" it might be necessary to remove the previous pairing (in the same settings) and re-scan, then pair again.

During yesterday's tinkering I also encountered a gs911 "timeout" which could also be an issue if the pairing process takes a long time.

One other tip if you are not near the bike during this process, you can connect the gs911 to a USB charger to power it up and complete the connection and pairing process.

Hope that this information is of value.
Beverly Howard