Author Topic: Not sure what these error codes mean: wheel circumference faulty and gear select  (Read 4090 times)

ddoggycanada

Thanks
I will do a quick autoscan and post the report today.

I've got some non-approved updates such as ABS pro , Dynamic ESA pro, hillstart that's loaded on to the bike... probably causing all sorts of stuff as well...

ddoggycanada

I just read ur bike had been modified - that will create fun with the way BM does software - also some 2016 bikes, gear assist was wrongly installed at the factory

had it been a std bike....

all BMW vehicles (cars and bikes) for at least the last 20 years operate on an "integrated" (AKA known to be aligned) batch of software across all modules fitted on the bike - this is called the i-level (where the I = integration).  As far as I know they are the only manu that do it logically.

All software on all vehicles is a hit and miss joke of part baked madness and bugs - but at least BM have a set process that attempts to get all bikes of that era / i-level release to behave the same way

the GS911 autoscan report will give you this data - then we know how out of date your bike maybe and we can start to cross ref recalls and service actions that might help fix bugs u r finding....

If a BMW (Car or Bike) needs any of its software updated in its various modules - the procedure the dealership undertakes is called an i-level update

There are rare occasions where they are instructed to do this at a service for safety reasons - and its best not to obstruct this - or it may be dangerous for you or other road users - they will usually NOT tell you they undertook this work - they want people to retain an image this activity doesn't happen !

this procedure re-flashes the entire vehicle in one continuous sequence - writing each module in turn - with whatever BMW now prescribe as the current approved software for that vehicle. What changes is dependent on the vehicle and said modules fitted. It can be one module gets an update, and the others just get a new install of what it had, or everything changes everywhere.

The dealers do not pick and choose and don't not know what the changes will bring - they just plug it in, it talks to Germany and it says I need this - and they press the go button.

If any module doesn't take the update, the programming locks up - failing at the module that is being strange. (This is very common on the Cars where non-approved secondhand extras are installed or enabled without the appropriate software license and support fee having been paid - and  people have altered the VO - vehicle order). If it dies they have to investigate and repeat till the entire vehicle is on the new i-level (integration level - AKA the approved bundle for all modules on the vehicle). Its by far the best method any Manu complete. As the entire bundle of software is approved and should be compatible - if there is a bug they didn't know about - all vehicles will have it and so the impetus to resolve is fast and the driver is known - as its not this unique vehicle being odd, (which is the case with most vehicles and is why most are never fixed).

there are three main software release cycles each year - but once a few years out of production it used to be very rare there are further changes - but these days they have joined the normal IT crowd and it turns out every other day they find another new bug - my 2019 bike has been updated 5 times already and I just found out about another safety related failure meaning it should have been updated for a 6th time in August LY...

In the UK (cars or bikes) and it appears at most Motorrad dealerships worldwide, they have always pretended there is no such thing. The standard is to apply the current iteration at point of new sale, then never do it again

You shouldn't get too excited (but you ought to want the latest) - aside from in car entertainment - very few give functional improvements the user can see or feel. But things like minor bug fixes, security, safety and enhanced diagnostic functionality, etc. changes all the time. There's even a standard charge - I thought 30 mins for the bikes and 1 hour on the cars - but it turns out it meant o have a standard fee of 10 minutes labour.

this is a fairly recent list of I-levels for BM RR and Mini vehicles -  getting harder to find.... The bikes are on page 6  K50 (aka ur bike)

https://www.docdroid.net/1b7Ab0w/ista4292x-version-and-i-level-overview-pdf

Here is the autoscan report from the GS911...

Looks like my model is a K53, factory i-level : K001-15-07-522   
actual i-level : K001-19-03-501

ECU module error is the one with gear selector being faulty :
Controller Name : XBMSX
Controller : 0x0F8B00
Serial Number : 0170265195
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 16/01/26
Program Count : 2
Program Count Maximum : 60
Battery voltage : 12.50 V
VIN : WB10A040XGZ279791
Model : R 1200 R (K53)
Factory I-Level : K001-15-07-522
Actual I-Level : K001-19-03-501
Backup I-Level : K001-15-07-522

Odometer : 12519.0 km
Operating hours : 311h 19m 46s
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 19/04/05
Kilometers when programmed : 0.00
Number of FW configurations : 5
HW Electronics (HWEL) :
Firmware ID : 0x08A3
Firmware Version : 004.000.000
Bootloader (BTLD) :
Firmware ID : 0x0C49
Firmware Version : 004.000.000
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x0CF7
Firmware Version : 026.000.000
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x1FB0
Firmware Version : 026.000.000
Coding Data (CAFD) :
Firmware ID : 0x08A2
Firmware Version : 000.008.009

ABS Brake fault is the wheel circumference error madness ; the VIN mismatch is due to VO (Hillstart+ABS PRO) being un-officially uploaded with a K50 variant

Controller Name : XABS
Controller : 0x0F8300
Serial Number : 6307500881
Manufacturer : Vodafone Automotive
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 16/02/05
VIN : Unavailable
Variant : K50 + Hillstart + ABS-Pro
Program Count : 1
Program Count Maximum : 1000
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 19/04/05
Kilometers when programmed : 0.00
Number of FW configurations : 3
HW Electronics (HWEL) :
Firmware ID : 0x1299
Firmware Version : 000.003.000
Bootloader (BTLD) :
Firmware ID : 0x1298
Firmware Version : 000.002.000
SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
Firmware ID : 0x129A
Firmware Version : 004.000.001

Semi-active suspension is the CAN not communicating with the ECU -> but the function works anyhow (Dynamic ESA stuff)

Instrument Cluster is - for obvious reasons - VO mismatch as TFT was never an option for the '16 R1200R LC.
though, for some reason it says :
Factory I-Level K001-15-07-522
Actual I-Level K001-19-03-501
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 23/05/29
notice the firmware date on the XKOMBIHI

I'm beginning to think the i-level is actually the culprit here as when my service guy uploaded a GS version (as with the ABS Pro) of the firmware from 2017, I've never encountered a gear selector problem.
Only when I uploaded to the 2019 R1250R software (for the Dynamic ESA function to work...) this problem became present....

ALSO!!

I've done some search and it looks like the R1250R or the K001-19-03-501 i-level is supposedly loaded on to a BMS-O variant of the ECU...
I have the BMSX - will this also pose a problem?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 08:31:43 AM by ddoggycanada »

botus

• Beta testers
![/b]

I've got some non-approved updates such as ABS pro , Dynamic ESA pro, hillstart that's loaded on to the bike... probably causing all sorts of stuff as well...

I've done some search and it looks like the R1250R or the K001-19-03-501 i-level is supposedly loaded on to a BMS-O variant of the ECU...
I have the BMSX - will this also pose a problem?

your bike software is so heavily modified with mix and match modules off later bikes which could well never have been compatible - I heavily suspect there is NOTHING we or a dealer can do to help

does ANY of it work safely ? goodness knows - highly unlikely as the manu can't even remember to turn it on at the factory, for the ones they make "correctly", so bodging safety modules from a later model or indeed from a totally different model range on top of buggy std software is likely a car crash (and sadly that could mean physically, as well as figuratively)

BMW spend MOST of their development budget making life deliberately hard just to stop people playing games like someone has on your bike - they don't build a bike 8 years ago with future safety advancements in mind and think, tell you what, perhaps we could make a more expensive wiring loom and fit higher spec processors that might cope with software Bosch may think will be helpful one day...  let alone create magic to connect and make reliable comms between stuff they have not even dreamt of yet

its not so much being on your own - as being totally impossible to achieve what you are attempting - you will NEVER have any idea of the secret tricks the manu played behind the scenes to trip you up...   the fact the bike even starts, let alone is safe to ride in the mess you have created is quite incredible 

for a start you fitted a k50 19" wheel module on the brakes - so of course it thinks the wheels are going round way outside the 12% mismatch tolerance the bike believes its allowed
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 02:24:38 PM by botus »

ddoggycanada

I think I'm just going to revert back to the original... too much trouble for what it's worth...
Like you said, it's a miracle the bike even runs but I'm not going to take more chance... the errors may pile up and do something to the DME in the long run..