Author Topic: Transmission calibration 21 R1250GSA  (Read 2039 times)

macr88

Transmission calibration 21 R1250GSA
« on: May 31, 2022, 08:04:32 PM »
Is there a way to reset things so shifts are smoother? Currently shifts are very abrupt from first to third and smooth from fourth to sixth and sixth down to first.

I was hoping it would learn but doesn't appear to be learning. My S1000XR was silky smooth in all gears, to the point I was amazed. Not so much with this GS though.

Not a big deal, just curious

Thanks,
Mac

Ruan

• Administrator
Re: Transmission calibration 21 R1250GSA
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:18:15 PM »
Hi Mac

Personally I've found that the adventure shifters aren't even remotely as good as the S-series bikes. The only 1250 that comes close is the R1250RS, one of the sales guys from our local dealer suggests that the gear ratios from the RS is much closer to that of the S bikes, which makes sense in my mind.

The reset transmission function on the GS-911 will optimize the values for the shifter on the GS, but it will only be as good as it can be. I don't even use the shifter from 1st to 2nd on our in house 1250 due to the abrupt shift that feels like the front wheel lifts a bit :-)

Kind regards
Ruan

a914nut

Re: Transmission calibration 21 R1250GSA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 05:14:41 PM »
Late to the party on this post....

I have '22 R1250GS which has had an abrupt & clunky quick shifter since I bought the bike, particularly from 1st to 3rd as well.  Upshifts were mostly decent (3rd and up), downshifts consistently poor, even with closed throttle.

This week, I reset the transmission using the GS-911.  I followed a video I found on HexCodes Facebook page to recalibrate after reset by going through the gears at idle while on center stand leaving it in each gear until the gear indicator on TFT stopped flashing.

Went for a ride yesterday and happy to report the reset made a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in the operation of the quick shifter. Even 1st to 2nd is improved under light to moderate acceleration.  Downshifting now works well on closed throttle on level ground.  Downshifting on downhills while the trans is 'loaded' is still kind of hit or miss with smoothness.

Overall, YES, performing transmission calibration for me has made a huge improvement in my Shift Assist Pro / Quick Shifter