Author Topic: Fault code 27220 CAN error  (Read 866 times)

JayElDee

Fault code 27220 CAN error
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:00:16 AM »
2016 r1200gs LC about 40k miles, bike rides fine

ran the fault codes as part of the 6k service and saw two codes I have been seeing since new, but don't seem to have any issue: one about the gas cap and one about the prerequisites for front wheel locking not present. I cleared those, and ran again.
This time "27220 CAN error This fault is currently present." I cleared it and ran again...still there. This was in the XBCL module.
I exited the program, disconnected from the battery then reconnected and ran the program again. This time nothing, no fault codes at all.

It is possible that the plug for the GS911 was not fully seated when I ran the first time, and I suppose that could cause havoc in reading fault codes, but what is "27220 Can error?" Is there a site online that lists fault codes? Sure would be a lot more helpful if there was someone to translate.
Any insight appreciated and thanks

Mornay

• Administrator
Re: Fault code 27220 CAN error
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
The error your bike reported doesn't have any additional detail, so maybe someone who dealt with this error before can advise.

The chances of the GS-911 not making a good connection will not cause it to see a phantom error code. It only reads from the various controllers and reports what it sees. It might be that this error code was present at some stage, but when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the controller didn't run its complete check yet. Did you take the bike out for a drive yet and scanned it again?

JayElDee

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 04:01:20 PM »
I have not yet done that. I will and report...thanks for the reply

JayElDee

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:29:37 AM »
I went on a test ride this afternoon, nothing amiss.
I later ran the fault codes and there were none.

Mornay

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »
If the fault is gone, I'd not worry too much about the error code if there are no visible errors on the bike. There might have been an issue with the controllers on the bike temporarily, but it seems to be resolved.