Author Topic: 1100RT 3-Pin Throttle Position Fault  (Read 3366 times)

mst27370

1100RT 3-Pin Throttle Position Fault
« on: June 01, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »
Bike is a 2001 R1100RT.  I'm using the 3-Pin interface to the diagnostic port.

Checking the Engine motronic fault codes, I am getting the two HES codes because the bike is not running, and I am getting a 1215 Throttle Position Sensor fault.  I checked the TPS Adjustment voltage setting with a voltmeter and also with the 3-Pin TPS test.  Both ways the TPS idle voltage is in the correct range.

I did a Clear Codes, and then immediately did the Read Codes and the 1215 fault is still there.  I bought a used TPS and replaced the TPS.  I set the idle voltage again, checked with a voltmeter and the 3-Pin TPS test. It is in the correct range.  I am still getting a 1215 fault.

The bike is running fine.  No indication of any run problems with the throttle.  Can anyone help with why the computer is sending a TPS fault code?
Michael

mst27370

Re: 1100RT 3-Pin Throttle Position Fault
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
No replies to this?

Wondering if the guys from hexcode monitor these threads.

Update:  I went back to the bike with the 3-Pin interface and also with a voltmeter.  I confirmed that the idle voltage on pin 1 of the TPS was in the correct range.  When I checked with the GS-911, the 1215 code was still there.  I cleared the codes, and then I did the TPS Adjustment test.  When the TPS adjustment test is first started, the test box remains grey even after the test is started.  This is even though I confirmed with a voltmeter that the voltage was correct.  I moved the throttle which brought the test box out of range and released the throttle, which now showed the test box bright blue and TPS Correct.  Repeated moving the throttle several time it always is Correct at idle and as soon as I start to roll it it shows Incorrect.  Cleared codes again.  Then did a read codes and the 1215 TPS fault is gone.

Is this a GS-911 3-Pin bug?  A BMW motronic bug?  Anyone???
Michael

meidl762

-
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:09:34 PM »
I find that the throttle is either full on or off . For instance if approaching a station and I squeeze the trigger even only a little it powers right up and zoom.  So I decelerate and it cuts right out and I stop. I realy need help with some of these controls and no I havent played any of the X series before.

mst27370

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 03:46:06 PM »
meidl762: "I find that the throttle is either full on or off . For instance if approaching a station and I squeeze the trigger even only a little it powers right up and zoom.  So I decelerate and it cuts right out and I stop. I really need help with some of these controls and no I haven't played any of the X series before."

meidle, your comment is true, for some fuel injected bikes.  Fuel injected motors are much more responsive on and off throttle. This is due to the engine computer and how the fuel mapping has been programmed.  I found this to be true for the BMW R1100RT, especially compared to my other bikes which have carburetors.  This has nothing to do with the GS-911 diagnostic tool and nothing to do with my questions.  You can learn, with practice to be smooth on the throttle - just takes practice.  Your question really belongs on a forum for your bike (1100RT??), not here.
Michael

timothyferriss

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 05:14:09 AM »
Check the cabling that connects to the TPS for any evidence of deterioration, fraying, or disconnected connections. Erroneous error codes may result from faulty or damaged wiring. eggy car
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:17:49 AM by timothyferriss »