Author Topic: Adjusting heat from Heated Grips using GS911  (Read 4158 times)

John-G

Adjusting heat from Heated Grips using GS911
« on: April 05, 2021, 10:40:01 AM »

Hello,

The heated grips on my 2019 1250GSA are too hot on one setting but not hot enough on the other setting.
Would it be possible to alter the degree of heating in some way using the GS911? If not do you think it might be possible to add this feature as part of a later software update?

Thanks.

ewilson

Re: Adjusting heat from Heated Grips using GS911
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 04:05:16 PM »
Great question.  I too have a similar issue, although I feel under most temperatures, both settings are too hot.  I was on a trip last week and the temps got down to around 0 C and I was wearing my summer gloves (big mistake).  Even on the lower heat setting, my palms were burning and the backs of my hands were freezing.  The backs of my hands being cold is my own issue for having the wrong gloves. But I kept having to pull my hands off the grips and hold them out in the wind to cool off.

I would love to find a fix to regulate the grip temperature.  If the GS911 isn't the answer, I'm going to have to look into adding in a voltage reducer (amp reducer maybe?) in to the power wire heading to the grips.  I'm no electrician, anyone know the best method for this barring GS911 success?

John-G

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
Hi,
You are lucky finding both settings too hot. I've had a software update today hoping that this would give me the 5 settings as on the 2021 models but sadly not. It was too warm to check them on the ride back from Dealer but will do as soon as I get out for a run.

I would check with others before playing with the BMW electrics, being that so many functions go through a number of the Computers and Can Bus wiring, you could easily fry the lot!
John.

ewilson

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 05:52:53 PM »
That would be the best option imaginable if the computer update added the 3 extra levels of adjustment. I agree completely about not messing with the electronics without knowing 100% how it will effect everything else.  Hopefully an answer will be found.  On the ADVriver.com forum, some have suggested just adding handlebar tape or Grip Puppies to tone down the heat.  But I'm hesitant to add any thickness to my grips. But that still is the easiest answer aside from a computer update.

mike d

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 07:19:46 PM »
On the UKGSer forum a similar question was asked about how to get to the 5 heat setting function.

The response seems to be that you needed to have the bike with the heated seat as an optional extra to get the 5 heat settings on the grips.

Do you have the heated seat?

Mike

John-G

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 08:15:10 PM »
The five settings coming in with the 2021 model and specifically only then if you ordered the heated Seat will I think, mean that the software is different from the earlier model years so preventing these bikes being upgraded. Partly on the basis that BMW don't want these owners to gain any of the benefits of later models.

Pity but to be expected. Maybe in a couple of years time just as when they brought in the upgrade to enjoy "Hill Start Assist" on bikes made prior to it being offered on new bikes.