Author Topic: ABS light  (Read 4600 times)

Abitabilo

ABS light
« on: November 02, 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
I have a 2013 R1200gs. The motorcycle has 36,000 miles on it. I purchased the 911 tool shortly after I purchased the motorcycle. I recently put new brake pads on performed a complete brake bleed swing the 911 bleed/flush. I also installed the speed bleeder fittings to perform this single-handedly. Rode the motorcycle and everything was perfect. Then we went on a trip for 10 days. Halfway through the trip the ABS light came on and did not turn off. I thought it might just be the light so I stomped on the rear brakes and the wheel did lock up therefore the ABS system was not operating. When I got back home from the trip I plugged in the GS911 tool and no error or fault codes appeared. I checked to see if it was a bad wheel sensor. With a motorcycle on the center stand I spun the back tire and then the front tire. The speed indicator on the live values showed the speed. I am out of ideas. Thanks Frustrated😡

Alexm1

Re: ABS light
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 02:06:34 AM »
I have not worked on your model bike but on the older models this was often caused by the brake fluid being too low. Check all your fluid levels and you may find the problem disappears.
Alex

Abitabilo

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
I check the fluid and they are both perfect. It did not fix the problem

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
Has this issue been resolved?

Which 2013 model do you have?  Aircooled or Liquid Cooled?

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:21:08 PM »
Normal ABS2 failure mode. 

Give the pump a whack with a bit of wood should go another 6 months before the brush dust causes them to stick again.  Many people retrofit the brush pack from a ford fiesta as a longer term fix.
Plenty of DIY video's on youtube.  Or multiple repair places offering guaranteed for life fix for 15% of BMWs replacement cost

ONLY interesting point but I don't believe them as it can't cause the brush fault.  BMW dealer said don't push back the brake pistons in to the master cyl, always release the bleed nipple.  But it would be the perfect "make you think they care  / make you think it didn't fail because they actually designed it to die on purpose".

After all the 2 year brake fluid change is utter rubbish, plenty of cars and bikes on 20 year old fluid makes zero difference.  They die because two deliberate engineered at birth defects, cause it... always did and still do.  Dare I suggest the two year red herring allows them to "electronically encourage" a failure mode as you haven't given them a wad of needless cash recently (so we'll make sure you do).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:29:36 PM by botus »

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 07:08:58 AM »
Normal ABS2 failure mode. 

Give the pump a whack with a bit of wood should go another 6 months before the brush dust causes them to stick again.  Many people retrofit the brush pack from a ford fiesta as a longer term fix.
Plenty of DIY video's on youtube.  Or multiple repair places offering guaranteed for life fix for 15% of BMWs replacement cost

ONLY interesting point but I don't believe them as it can't cause the brush fault.  BMW dealer said don't push back the brake pistons in to the master cyl, always release the bleed nipple.  But it would be the perfect "make you think they care  / make you think it didn't fail because they actually designed it to die on purpose".

After all the 2 year brake fluid change is utter rubbish, plenty of cars and bikes on 20 year old fluid makes zero difference.  They die because two deliberate engineered at birth defects, cause it... always did and still do.  Dare I suggest the two year red herring allows them to "electronically encourage" a failure mode as you haven't given them a wad of needless cash recently (so we'll make sure you do).

May I ask when last you personally saw a BMW ABS pump, as in an ABS pump that was designed and built by BMW?

FYI, and this may come as a shock to you, BMW doesn't build/design ABS pumps!  They source them elsewhere.  They source them from the same supplier as MB, Toyota, VW, Honda, GM, Fiat, and, by your own admission, Ford, to name just a few.  And the ABS light issue is NOT unique to BMW bikes.  It manifests itself in cars as well, across the range of manufacturers listed above.

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
I'm a motor vehicle tech, designed to die ABS modules have been there since inception

of course they aren't made by BMW they are made by teves or continental

ABS2 bike's get the same module as cars use, with the ESP type ABS pump, you can indeed fit a ford fiesta pump motor !!!  the main fault is sticking brushes on the pump module.

Other failure modes on earlier modules that didn't fail fast enough, was a special gunge on one link wire between the multiplug and the circuit board, it was designed to cause the failure to a time out side warranty but tended to last >10 years far beyond the legal timeframe of 6 to 7 years most markets mandate and so they developed "better ideas"
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:32:08 PM by botus »

amongcame

• geometry dash world
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 09:17:30 AM »
ABS pumps aren't made or designed by BMW.  They obtain them somewhere else.  They purchase them from the same supplier as, among others, MB, Toyota, VW, Honda, GM, Fiat, and, as you admit, Ford.

fethiye9

• things to do fethiye turkey
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 07:06:25 PM »
Thanks for information

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 01:31:46 PM »
I have a 2013 R1200gs. The motorcycle has 36,000 miles on it. I purchased the 911 tool shortly after I purchased the motorcycle. I recently put new brake pads on performed a complete brake bleed swing the 911 bleed/flush. I also installed the speed bleeder fittings to perform this single-handedly. Rode the motorcycle and everything was perfect. Then we went on a trip for 10 days. Halfway through the trip the ABS light came on and did not turn off. I thought it might just be the light so I stomped on the rear brakes and the wheel did lock up therefore the ABS system was not operating. When I got back home from the trip I plugged in the GS911 tool and no error or fault codes appeared. I checked to see if it was a bad wheel sensor. With a motorcycle on the center stand I spun the back tire and then the front tire. The speed indicator on the live values showed the speed. I am out of ideas. Thanks Frustrated😡

you can disable ABS using the ABS button, and change ASC from 1) nanny, 2) about right 3) OFF - maybe you had changed settings without realising ?

ABS sensors wires usually snap (rear first)

And of course - its normal for ABS modules to die on BMW bikes - they built them to do this, specifying on their cars and bikes a different clearance for the ESP motor brushes - after some use the carbon dust makes them stick and play up - the same module with the correct clearances on a Ford will keep going at least 5 times as long - many owners fix fitting for parts - other german criminals like VAG have to provides spare parts kit under a class action lawsuit