Author Topic: 2010 R1200RT Fuel strip advice please  (Read 8721 times)

Skim

2010 R1200RT Fuel strip advice please
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »
Since replacing the battery with a new one a week ago, I had the typical fuel strip failure symptons. Yellow triange warning and fuel level showing "Empty".

My question... this is an intermittant fault. It normally works when I start the bike. Fault appears after travelling a short distance and often disappears and everything works fine again.

I was under the impression that the fuel strip failure is sudden and complete. Do I need to look for something else, wiring etc? Saw the 'Piezo zap cure' clip on You Tube. Seems to be worth a try?

Thank you in advance.

Inspector Gadget

Re: 2010 R1200RT Fuel strip advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »
I would first connect-up your GS911 and check if it is indeed noted your bike is with the Fuel-strip, instead of the floater-type.
Because BMW changed to the Floater-type per august 2010.

As you only changed the battery, it could be calibration if off for your fuel-strip (and prior to that battery-change was probably just within the calibrated range).
So it would merely doing the re-calibration of the fuel-strip (via GS911) would be enough for your problem.

Skim

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
Thank you for the prompt response Inspector. Checked. Definitely "Film Type Sensor".

May just add... The yellow warning triangle on the dash does not flash, it merely stays on.

When the fuel gauge starts working after having been off, the remaining indicated distance on fuel gradually and slowly increases by 1 Km.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
Sorry for you, the Fuel Strip isn't BMW's best implementation.

Did you connect-up the GS911 and did an auto-scan, were there any errors noted?

The non-flashing yellow is the warning-level, together with the flashing fuel-sign indicates the "regular" reserve-fuel situation.
The non-flashing yellow can only flash in red (or non-flashing red too, btw)
It can not and deos not flash in yellow AFAIK and according to the manuals?

I still think you should consider re-calibrating your fuel-sensor.
But you can first try to do the Piezo zap method, if that resolves it.
AFAIK the Piezo zap method never hurt the level strip, only resolves the impeding issue. Sometimes.

The actual fuel-level is only measured after a substantial distance has been traveld I'm told and then updated at some intervals.
And when you start the bike it merely just shows the last remembered state (level).

I do believe your calibration is off, but you could be right that your fuel-strip is on the verge of failing.
It is the micro-fractures and therefore change of resistance that is causing the infamous issue.
And the micro-fractures being caused by the fuel-strip floating around loosly on one (bottom) end.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:42:15 AM by Inspector Gadget »

Skim

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »
Fuel guage kept failing. Will work for about half the time.

Made up a Piezo zapper as per the Youtube video and zapped on Saturday.

The guage was working at the time.

We have 2 heavy cold fronts coming through, but will take the bike for a ride and report back.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »
Fingers crossed then!
Hope the zap-method will keep working for you, that is the most cost-effective solution.

Skim

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »

Cold fronts moving through kept me off the bike after Piezo zapping the fuel strip.

Went for a 366 Km drive yesterday. Voila... provisionally. The fuel guage never failed during the ride.  Hope it stays this way.

If any change I will report.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »
Fingers crossed then and keeping hope the Piezo method keeps working for you!
You can repeat the procedure again (& again) if you notice similar signs;
I know of persons who have done it 4x times to date in a period of about a year and a half.
But also occasionally (eventually?) the Piezo method won't be able to (re)solve it, sadly enough.
(you can also do it multiple times, repeatedly, if needed, during the same "session")

Hope indeed it stays working "normally" for you.

Skim

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 05:06:39 PM »
Fuel strip finally died despite 3 zap sessions of 6 each in as many days. This after 70,000 Km's and 2 previous successful zaps. Need to do some research as regards ease of replacing with float level sensor. Hope there is an easy way using GS-911 that does not require wiring and CU fiddling...

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 04:13:35 PM »
Hi Skim

Unfortunately not, the GS-911 only programs the bike's ZFE to look for a float instead of a strip, in order for the bike to send the correct signals, the wiring will need to be changed as the pin for strip is different to the pin for float.

Kind regards
Ruan

Skim

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 09:41:02 PM »
Thank you for your reply and info Ruan. Much appreciated. A fine machine with such a flaw, what a pity. Hate warnings and flashing lights, will look into it.