Author Topic: Problems with firmware update [SOLVED]  (Read 14289 times)

txtinman

Problems with firmware update [SOLVED]
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »
I'm running version 2004.3 on Windows 10. When I click on "apply firmware updates" the usb connection is dropped and an error message appears that says "the interface returned an error". The error is not explained. I would look in the logs but I don't know where they are kept. Can someone tell me where to find them, or tell me how to get the firmware to update?

Mike

I tried using the web interface again. The update option was grayed out before. This time it was not and I clicked on it. It failed with a file extraction error message, but the USB connection did not drop. I tried four times before the update was successful. I can't explain why the USB kept dropping. Maybe the folks at HEXCode can tell me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:35:29 PM by txtinman »
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Problems with firmware update
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 04:19:15 AM »
Mike

I have not tried doing a firmware update using the PC App, I normally do it from the web interface

What firmware is in your GS911 WiFi ? & is it the latest version ?, check with the web interface

I would also use the WiFi Utility to see what it does on check for updates

txtinman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:45:25 PM »
My firmware is version 0.254-0.157

When I use the wifi utility program it tells me the software is up to date and there is an update available for the GS-911wifi interface. It tells me to go to the tools menu option and click on Apply Firmware Updates. There is also a button to install the update now.

If I choose either option the USB connection is dropped and I get the error that says the interface returned an error.

I tried the web interface but the update selection is grayed-out.

I wanted to include screenshots, but I don't know how to get that working either.

Mike
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »
Mike

Sounds odd, current firmware version is 0.254-0.184 & data pack 162 so yours is well out of date

Current version of WiFi Utility is 2001.1 so ensure you have the latest version

If you cant update with the latest WiFi Utility I would lodge a support ticket with Hexcode, they will get you to send them logs for analysis
https://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1

txtinman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
Any idea how to read the logs?

Mike
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 05:24:24 AM »
There are different logs for the 3 apps, Web/Utility/PC App, they are in a format for Hexcode to read, best to lodge the ticket

txtinman

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 02:17:55 PM »
There are different logs for the 3 apps, Web/Utility/PC App, they are in a format for Hexcode to read, best to lodge the ticket

Yeah, I created the ticket. I would like to see for myself what's going on. I've had this wifi unit for about 5 years and this is the first time I've not been able to update it. My problem is usually getting it to connect to the network from the garage.  :P

Thanks for the comments.

Mike
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
Mike

There a couple of possibilities re the update failure, Hexcode will resolve, best to keep it up to date, easier for me as I do beta tests & diags for workshops. I assume you are connecting from garage to home WiFi net, we use range extenders for workshop problem areas, they are low cost
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:43:39 PM by WayneC »

Wilco

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 03:22:09 PM »
Mike, just went to find your ticket.
We can see your interface is timing out during communication. Looks like some kind of USB issue, but seems strange. Are you connected via a USB hub?
We will need the logs (which only we can decrypt  ;)). Look in your install directory or in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\...

WiFi logs should be easiest.

txtinman

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Mike, just went to find your ticket.
We can see your interface is timing out during communication. Looks like some kind of USB issue, but seems strange. Are you connected via a USB hub?
We will need the logs (which only we can decrypt  ;)). Look in your install directory or in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\...

WiFi logs should be easiest.

No USB hub, but I did try two different USB ports. I'll try to find the log files later today. Should I post them here or send an email?

Mike
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

Wilco

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
Let's keep it on the support ticket.

txtinman

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »
I couldn't find any log files so I used the send logs function under the tools menu.
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Problems with firmware update [SOLVED]
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 03:55:49 AM »

I tried using the web interface again. The update option was grayed out before. This time it was not and I clicked on it. It failed with a file extraction error message, but the USB connection did not drop. I tried four times before the update was successful. I can't explain why the USB kept dropping. Maybe the folks at HEXCode can tell me.

Microsoft has had USB printer problems in an update recently which has caused some grief, I would not be surprised if it extended beyond printers

I assume you do have USB power savings turned off, that has also been problematic in Win10
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:57:42 AM by WayneC »

Wilco

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 08:39:57 AM »
I couldn't find any log files so I used the send logs function under the tools menu.
Found your logs, thanks. You have missing/problematic Windows USB drivers.
Wayne is most likely on the right path as to why this is the case, but if you have reason to believe your installation might have been corrupted you could reinstall the GS-911 PC application.
Your logs indicate a failure to load ftd2xx.dll which we ship in the USBDrv directories that should be located in your install directory. If they are missing, it's best to reinstall before considering a system restore or Windows troubleshooting.

I tried four times before the update was successful.
We had incremental improvements that worked against each other here that lead to extraction delay issues when updating from certain older versions through the web interface. If the delays add up you can get time-outs. This slipped through in-house and beta testing since we all update regularly, but was caught with regression testing. It has since been fixed by updating the protocol and moving more of the extraction control to the codeblock.

but the USB connection did not drop
The USB connection is not used for communication when using the web interface, so the driver issue you have would not impact this process.

I would like to see for myself what's going on.
Hope I covered everything?

Glad you are up and running, hope you get your drivers fixed.  :)

txtinman

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
I'll do a re-install and see if that fixes things. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC