Author Topic: Am I smarter than BMW Engineers? S1000RR (R)  (Read 4418 times)

onesaintsfan

Am I smarter than BMW Engineers? S1000RR (R)
« on: July 14, 2020, 06:05:38 PM »
First a little background.   I own a 2016 BMW S1000R with DDC bought new in 2016.   I’m a big guy, 6’4” and 300lbs.  I know this bike is not sprung for me, that’s not what this thread is about.  It’s about something I discovered thanks to the GS-911WIFI and YouTube.  I adjusted the preload to almost maximum for my weight.  I discovered that on anything other than pool table smooth roads any bumps was literally PAINFULL!  I’m talking about jamming a sledgehammer up your spinal column

I understand the suspension on the RR is much more advanced than on the R.  On the RR after adjusting preload  you must go into the menu system and “calibrate” the DDC.  But on the R is there is no provision for that. Why?   I have just started diving into all the capabilities of the GS-911WIFI and by accident discovered a suspension calibration procedure under the S1000R tab ( Inalso have a 2017 GSA).    I also discovered on YouTube the fact that after adjusting the preload on a DDC bike spring travel has changed so you must also calibrate the spring travel sensor. Could that harshness have been the fact that the spring travel sensor was not reset or calibrated after cranking up the preload ?

So I did this with the GS-911WIFI on my S1000R and guess what ?   The pain and harshness is gone.  I basically backed off the preload to halfway settings front and rear with engine running 🏃‍♀️ n a trackstand with 1 helmet showing.  I then did a spring travel sensor calibration under the  XSAF calibration group.

So here are my questions
1).  Why would a calibration not be in the S1000R menu
2).  What exactly does this procedure do on the GS-911WIFI that the RR menu does not?
3).  Any difference in doing this on a trackstand instead of kickstand
4).  If you adjust spring preload does that not effect spring travel and hence the sensor?
5).  Is there a difference between zero reset and calibration?

What baffles me is there is nothing in the R owners manual about needing to recalculate the DDC after preload adjustments.   Since there is nothing in the manual surly they don’t expect owners to have to go to the dealer each time they adjust their suspension?   Adjusting with ignition on and on side stand is required on both R and RR, but the RR requires the further calibration step.

So finally have I discovered that the Rs DDC must be recalibrated as well but there is no provision for that in its menu system?

onesaintsfan

Re: Am I smarter than BMW Engineers? S1000RR (R)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:33:16 PM »
Set sag on my suspension per manual without calibration and bike performed fine so evidently keeping ignition on when setting preload on the R self calibrates.  I still did a calibration afterwards just for the hell of it.  Best I can tell ( please correct if I’m wrong) the calibration function on the GS-911WIFI is if you replace the spring travel sensor