Author Topic: Coil/Spark plug malfunction - Error code on GS911 ?  (Read 9100 times)

rzvnz

Coil/Spark plug malfunction - Error code on GS911 ?
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:08:56 PM »
Hello,
If you have a ignition coil malfunction or an incorrect functioning spark plug, should the GS911 show an error code when scanning? 

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: Coil/Spark plug malfunction - Error code on GS911 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 06:39:51 AM »
The short answer is "No"

The sparkplug coils have no sensors attached to them to be monitored for malfunction.  This is not a GS911 limitation, rather a vehicle limitation.

rzvnz

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:40:56 AM »
I have a more than average rough idle below 3500Rpm S1000R and I was hoping that I can rule out the ignition coil/spark plug malfunction if I don't see any error on GS-911. If there are misfires on one cylinder, even without details about the cause,  there should de an error code, shouldn't it?

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
I have a more than average rough idle below 3500Rpm S1000R and I was hoping that I can rule out the ignition coil/spark plug malfunction if I don't see any error on GS-911. If there are misfires on one cylinder, even without details about the cause,  there should de an error code, shouldn't it?

If the motor had a sensor to detect a misfire, then yes.  Unfortunately the motor doesn't.

Easiest way to see whether you have a misfire at idle is to measure the header temperatures.  Use either an IR thermometer or just wet the headers with a spray bottle while the motor is running and compare how quickly the water evaporates.  Water should boil off immediately.  You may find one header that takes longer to boil off than the others.  Then swap coil from that cylinder to another one and see whether the "cool" header follows the coil.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:48:21 AM by Jughead »

panason1c

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:38:29 PM »
Hello,
If you have a ignition coil malfunction or an incorrect functioning spark plug, should the GS911 show an error code when scanning?

I can confirm that a bad coil(s) does NOT flag an error code. I had 2 bad coils that were causing intermittent cutting out at idle, but my 911 told me that all was well. I replaced all 4 coils and spark plugs, engine now runs perfectly.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »
Hello,

I can confirm that a bad coil(s) does NOT flag an error code. I had 2 bad coils that were causing intermittent cutting out at idle, but my 911 told me that all was well. I replaced all 4 coils and spark plugs, engine now runs perfectly.

As stated before, this is not a GS911 limitation.  The GS911 only displays the error codes that are present in the ECU/DME/ZFE.  If the bike manufacturer has not made provision for a particular component to be monitored and reported on, the GS911 cannot magically do it.