Author Topic: Coding R1200 GS for change from strip sensor to float.  (Read 11801 times)

Wilco

• Administrator
Re: Coding R1200 GS for change from strip sensor to float.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 08:02:00 AM »
Just confirming the strip-float reprogramming worked fine for me through the web app. Many thanks.
Thanks for the feedback.  8)

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »
It works, but only through WiFi.

Thanks for the feedback.
It will be coming to the PC app in the future, but yes, only on web app for now.

We are also working towards consolidating processes which will eliminate this delay of new functions coming to one or the other platform.
Lot's of exciting developments.  8)

Any news?  there seems to be an issue with which ZFE you have and whether this is possible or not. Or is it that the Motoscan app has been updated and he broke this feature?

Rip out £200 designed to fail fuel strip and find on the pump housing is the retaining clips for the £100 float sensor to clip on to. Float sensor Part number 16148554065
With the tank still eased back to get better access to the Pump, remove ZFE plug J1 and remove the cover and pull out the strip sensor inputs at Pin 34 (green with red trace) and Pin 35 (brown with blue trace).  Now using a small tool, remove the circular blanking plug stopping you from relocating these two connections to the Float sensor inputs Black block Pin 21 (green with red trace) and White block Pin 37 (brown with blue trace).  Then relocate the sensor input connections (at the ZFE). 

Then you need to code the bike to accept the change .... but its not working on mine.  Most (all ???) successful changes seem to be when you swap sensor type on twin socketed J1 and J2 bikes with the ZFE High module.

It must have been possible on early bikes (pre GSA) had they used the float sensor on a ZFE Basic Low  (Single socket) for some builds.
Then they brought out higher spec GS1200's with a trip computer using the ZFE Basic High (Single socket) and here lots of owners are struggling to make a successful change to the float sensor.
Whereas lots of owners with GSAs are having success.  And indeed many other bikes like K1200s and K1300s

By 2010 I believe the fuel strip was std on low spec GSAs.  But high spec ones with ESA etc. all used the Float sensor (check OEM 2010 GSAs either or sensor type listed, with the float using the part listed at top of my post)

Whilst motoscan supported the programming change first, plenty of pictures show a second feature to code in a two step process.  But either one step is missing on ZFE Basic High modules and or the tool no longer works correctly.  And the logic to "deactivate the Inductive Fuel sensor" sounds back to front as I believe the Float is the inductive unit ??? 

I can code FLS Strip to Potentiometer no problem, but it fails to function leaving behind 41778 Tank sensor heating element malfunction (aka motoscan code A2E9) fuel strip error code, plus usual empty tank bells and whistles on the cluster with no level display.
If I then disconnect any sensor inputs to the ZFE (leaving the potentiometer coded on)  I also get float error code 41705 No fuel indicator (aka motoscan code A332) alongside A2E9 - that won't go away.

With the fuel strip coded, you can make a set of resistors connected up to all 4 pins that cancels fault codes, removes the low level flashing message, removes the low level amber triangle and shows a full tank of fuel.
Connecting the fuel strip's other heater circuit to the remaining two pins and trying to use the float on the float inputs doesn't get anywhere.  Which makes me suspect either the trip computer / programming set up of a ZFE Basic High is different.  And or the Motoscan app re coding feature is broken, but the developers are not listening.

So as I have a GS911 wifi where are with this tool please ?
If its not possible then there are plug and play gadgets to sent float input and fake heater info to the bike and not re-pin anything.  And or DIY for much less.   But as I have two expensive gadgets that I think should cope pressing a button is a nicer fix?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:43:07 PM by botus »

Wilco

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 07:31:46 AM »
Only one Coding Index value supports the disabling of the inductive fuel sensor. CI=9
The fuel sensor conversion service function in GS-911 exposes all supported coding based on the detected controller and CI and then does a synchronised coding change. The real value will come from this forum where information can be colelcted for what configurations the conversion works.

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 03:07:17 PM »
Pictures and info provided on tech query I raised..

Can anyone say if they think it will cause damage to code the potentiometer (float) to on, and still have all four original wires of the fuel strip connected with the resistor trick faking a full tank and no faults) so the bike doesn't throw the wrong error codes (due to its belief the Fuel strip is still broken).  But then connect the Float inputs to the other ECU pins and see if without errors on the bike (from the strip the coding isn't turning off) if the gauge comes to life ?

FYI trip computer works without any strip connected as it uses injector pulse data and ABS for wheel speeds.  Of course range don't function as tank level isn't changing.  But ave consumption and ave speed can be reset and operate as before.

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 11:44:53 AM »
Hi

looking on you forum I saw a post where you mentioned this site https://bmwfault.codes/

so I tried to look up the point wilco mentioned re. address 0x3006 it came up with this

3006 | DDE: Terminal 15 | dde41kl0 | Diesel Electronics slave

I don't understand why we have this marked as solved as the potential issue with coding ZFE basic to float fuel sensor is open?

Also not sure this was picked up in my query - can we code a Basic ZFE correctly - the early 2005 bikes with no trip meter features used a float sensor.  And then when they added the trip computer features the single multiplug socket ZFE bikes moved to the Fuel strip.  But on mine the trip meter stuff still works with either  a) a dead fuel strip. b) nothing connected c) the resistor trick on all four pins faking full tank of fuel.  I'm only missing range working as the tank level isn't moving  (with the resistor trick claiming the tank never empties…) FYI even that's interesting somehow the bike knows a range of greater than 232 miles can't happen and it doesn't just count ever higher range to go
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 11:49:44 AM by botus »

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 11:51:46 AM »
hunting where they hid things

what's a drop sensor - Float switch ?

2711 Drop sensor MRBMSKP2
 2718 Crankshaft sensor MRBMSKP2
 2722 Oxygen sensor 2 MRBMSKP2
 2723 Oxygen sensor heating 2 MRBMSKP2
 2736 Fuel pressure sensor MRBMSKP2
 2740 Oil level switch MRBMSKP2
 2741 Oil level not OK (too high or too low) MRBMSKP2
 2751 Cylinder-head temperature sensor 1 MRBMSKP2
 2752 Cylinder-head temperature sensor 2 MRBMSKP2