Author Topic: 2018 R Nine T Racer - Tank Venting Valve  (Read 4198 times)

huckleberry

2018 R Nine T Racer - Tank Venting Valve
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:31:25 PM »
I have an error code 3A10A2. It is described as a Tank venting valve - open circuit. My GS-911 (USB) will not clear it. How do I find a description of this code and a possible fix? I checked the 2 tank vent hoses and they are clear.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: 2018 R Nine T Racer - Tank Venting Valve
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 03:44:18 AM »
The tank Vent Valve is fitted to the fuel tank to stop fuel vapour venting to the atmosphere when the bike ignition is off & it is pulsed on/off when the bike is running. It was a US only device on older models, not sure whether it is fitted on the latest EU models

Look at the throttle bodies or air box, you should see a tube running back to the fuel tank & the valve, check that it is plugged in properly, also check your Repair Manual, it should show where the valve is fitted on your model.

huckleberry

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »
Thank you for your reply. My R9T had the airbox deleted when I bought it. It has K&N pod filters now, so I have no idea how the stock airbox was vented or where the lines connected. I have a detailed service manual, but it does not have any diagrams for the vent lines.

I'm thinking that I need to connect the vacuum hose from the left side throttle body to something. Right now it just blocked off. Any suggestions?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »
Those who simply remove the Vent Valve dont realise the ECU firmware is leaning off fuel slightly when it thinks the Vent Valve is open & feeding fumes into the intake not to mention they dont realise the fault codes are generated. On earlier models a 300 ohm resistor across the pins of the socket for the missing valve will stop the error codes as will leaving the valve connected but with the valve venting to the atmosphere

The input fitting on the air box or throttle body would be closed off or the bike would not be running well so I assume that is the case

I could only suggest looking at the Parts Fiche, perhaps you would see where the valve vents to by seeing the tubing Part No

huckleberry

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:30:54 PM »
Thank you again. I will try the resistor. The vent valve and cannister had been removed as well when I got the bike. The parts are long gone. The throttle body vent tube is closed off. The bike runs just fine. I just want to clear the code so the light will go out.

huckleberry

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »
Final update: It worked! The resistor allowed me to clear the code. Thank you so much for the help!