Author Topic: First time use and errors  (Read 4848 times)

Krazyjohnny

First time use and errors
« on: March 01, 2024, 06:29:05 PM »
Hey gang,

I have a 2022 S1000xr and the one year service has popped up on the dash.  Upon plugging in the GS911 WIFI to the computer I had to install the update.  Did the update flawlessly.  Then I plug into the bike, turn on the ignition, and went to reset the service minder and it said the voltage was too low (below (12.5V) to perform the update to the bike.  The bike is on a tender and I used the Multi-meter and the battery registered 15V. 

So I disconnected my clearwater lights turned off the heated grips and all other things.  That helped, of course.  The ran it again and got an error message that tells me

"Not all expected responses were received from the controller.  If this condition persists, contact support."

I have contacted support and sent in the log files.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a work around?  how do you keep the power about 12.5 v with the fuel pump running with the ignition on?

GS Jim

Re: First time use and errors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 07:17:45 PM »
There has been multiple posts concerning maintaining acceptable voltage levels while using the GS911 lately. Trickle chargers are for battery maintenance and don't work well for keeping the voltage up with ignition on as they only put out about 800 milliamps. You need to use a charger that will put out at least 4 amps. I use a microprocessor controlled variable 0-8 amp charger and I have found that works fine.
Prior to key on make sure all extra accessories are off and head light is on low beam.
15 volts is way to high, a trickle charger should never have gotten it to that level, there might be something wrong with it, you need to be careful you don't cook the battery.

I get error messages at times also, try the function again (and again), make sure you internet is stable, reboot, plug/unplug etc.

WIZARD1325

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 01:53:21 AM »
I use this

I wire to leads to the battery and control the power voltage basically AC/DC  and leave the bike on all day and night working on it. The variable knob lets you tailor exactly how much power to give to the bike or little.

https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP30SWV-Digital-Switching-Supply/dp/B00L2K263Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3MTNELASRZ9OJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.U2DgrnfrLP00gYMlkBjOgjU211rOWIwlT_xiZeYG-H4.mVu_9uWSnHb5y3CjtGnaWjHWkv427Xz6MpmlK2eJST8&dib_tag=se&keywords=tp30swv&qid=1709509863&sprefix=tp30swv%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-5

those trickle charges or the optimate that has a power on feature is a joke it just helps it keep alive but not for long if the bike consumes more then its providing. To get consistant flow you need a consistant device , like the link i provided.

yes its a investment I originally used it to power my telescopes. Now I use it to test heated seats and gear before putting it on my bike. tells you excatly how much amps you are using and you can compare that to the battery the bike uses to see if your going overboard or not. ANYHOO hope that helps!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 01:58:11 AM by WIZARD1325 »

Triac

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 09:36:57 PM »
Hey gang,

I have a 2022 S1000xr and the one year service has popped up on the dash.  Upon plugging in the GS911 WIFI to the computer I had to install the update.  Did the update flawlessly.  Then I plug into the bike, turn on the ignition, and went to reset the service minder and it said the voltage was too low (below (12.5V) to perform the update to the bike.  The bike is on a tender and I used the Multi-meter and the battery registered 15V. 

So I disconnected my clearwater lights turned off the heated grips and all other things.  That helped, of course.  The ran it again and got an error message that tells me

"Not all expected responses were received from the controller.  If this condition persists, contact support."

I have contacted support and sent in the log files.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a work around?  how do you keep the power about 12.5 v with the fuel pump running with the ignition on?

I had the same problem and I also contacted Support over a month ago with no response.  Did you eventually receive a response from Support??

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 09:07:49 AM »
Hey gang,

I had the same problem and I also contacted Support over a month ago with no response.  Did you eventually receive a response from Support??
Hi Triac

I've had a look on our side for any mails from your email, but cannot locate any. To which support email did you try to reach out?

support@hexgs911.com is the standard support email for GS-911, but you can also contact us on support@hexinnovate.com should there be any issues.

Kind regards
Ruan

Triac

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 01:32:19 PM »
Hey gang,

Hi Triac

I've had a look on our side for any mails from your email, but cannot locate any. To which support email did you try to reach out?

support@hexgs911.com is the standard support email for GS-911, but you can also contact us on support@hexinnovate.com should there be any issues.

Kind regards
Ruan

Ruan, I used 'support@hexgs911.com'.   I will resend using 'support@hexinnovate.com'

Thank you,
Robert

Triac

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 03:33:04 PM »
The voltage detection threshold is by design.  Hex's helpdesk reply (#47207779)

"Hi Robert
Thank you for contacting us. 
Yes we build in that threshold especially when coding is done so that we do not loose any coding back up of the bike. 
So to start the bike and do the service function is a good option when the batt goes under 12.5V. "

I find this interesting and I'm curious if this is due to sensitivity of the GS-911 or the bike's electronics.

Next time I am at my dealer, I'm going to ask them when they update the bike's electronics with BMW's service computer, if they connect an external power supply to the bike.....

Also, 'support@hexinnovate.com' seems to be the correct email address.  Thank you Ruan!

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 04:11:42 PM »

"Hi Robert
Yes we build in that threshold especially when coding is done so that we do not loose any coding back up of the bike.
So to start the bike and do the service function is a good option when the batt goes under 12.5V. "

I find this interesting and I'm curious if this is due to sensitivity of the GS-911 or the bike's electronics.

Next time I am at my dealer, I'm going to ask them when they update the bike's electronics with BMW's service computer, if they connect an external power supply to the bike.....

Also, 'support@hexinnovate.com' seems to be the correct email address.  Thank you Ruan!
Hi Triac

No problem, sometimes emails get thrown out to specific addresses, so having an alternative works.

Regarding the rest, as far as I know, techies have to put the bikes on chargers for software updates, as this takes some time and they can obviously carry on with other stuff while it completes. Keep in mind with the voltage dropping, certain things gets disabled completely by the bike itself in an effort to protect the battery, if a controller shuts off while we're performing a coding action, that could be quite an expensive exercise. As such, we've opted for a reasonable threshold that will protect the battery and the bike.

Kind regards
Ruan

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 10:32:31 PM »
BMW build in a deliberate high voltage requirement for their dealer tools - it refuses to programme unless its high enough

most garages work on 14.6v - as you lose a bit round the systems but its not just the voltage its the stability of the supply - latest cars need 120 amp 14.6v stable supply - I thought BMs tool requires 15v its one way to stop kids playing with hooky versions - but all the hacked tools just fake the volt reading to work around it - then they destroy modules forgetting its running low   :o

Triac

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 03:22:00 PM »

"Hi Robert
So to start the bike and do the service function is a good option when the batt goes under 12.5V. "

Hi Triac

No problem, sometimes emails get thrown out to specific addresses, so having an alternative works.

Regarding the rest, as far as I know, techies have to put the bikes on chargers for software updates, as this takes some time and they can obviously carry on with other stuff while it completes. Keep in mind with the voltage dropping, certain things gets disabled completely by the bike itself in an effort to protect the battery, if a controller shuts off while we're performing a coding action, that could be quite an expensive exercise. As such, we've opted for a reasonable threshold that will protect the battery and the bike.

Kind regards
Ruan

Ruan, thanks for the complete reply.

The GS-911 manual states to connect an intelligent batter charger for service functions.  I had an OptiMate 4 connected, which did not help.

IMHO. I'd like to see the documentation specify the minimum voltage requirements when backing up/writing to the bike's controller(s).  Just my 2 cents!

Thanks and all the best,
Robert

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 03:53:11 PM »
The GS-911 manual states to connect an intelligent batter charger for service functions.  I had an OptiMate 4 connected, which did not help.

the clever ones are NOT very helpful when it comes to providing the grunt when you know its required - they are so clever they sit analysing stuff for many minutes till its too late... and then if lucky they cut in to charge mode and pretend to do a slow recovery charge... when you know the bike needs 6 amps NOW !

I bought a cheap one and throw it on car winter full grunt mode WHENEVER THE KEY IS ON - trouble is they are so dim - a KEY OFF cycle as requested at times, trips it back to sleep - if you aren't on the case - you miss it

chargers without any display are just an utter fiasco

I haven't tried on a bike but now have a snap-on one thats grown up enough to do its job properly but they are $1600 - the link is the old 2022 model, latest one now gets LiPo support https://public.snapon.com/UserManuals/ShopTechTools/EEBC500INT-00-99-000963-1109.pdf

Flash reprogramming Power Supply

Provides a consistent power at the OEM specified voltage (user entered) to allow for uninterrupted flash reprogramming of vehicle’s computers or to retain vehicle system settings
When reprogramming, the power supplied to the vehicle module must not drop below OEM specified voltage. Some reprogramming operations with the key-on will turn on cooling fans, fuel pumps, and other components that will cause the battery to drain faster than normal. Instead of pulling fuses to prevent the battery drain, it is easier and more practical to have the vehicle connected to a constant voltage power supply. During reprogramming, there is a risk of having the operation fail if the voltage falls below the proper operating voltage. Sometimes a failed operation can be recovered, but there is a chance that failed reprogramming could ruin the control module

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 04:07:15 PM by botus »