Author Topic: KOMBI - Coding - Change indicator type (LED or bulb)  (Read 6352 times)

ozhuthy

KOMBI - Coding - Change indicator type (LED or bulb)
« on: October 03, 2019, 04:48:54 AM »
Hi all.

Hope I have put this in the right place.

Just checking what the expected behavior of this coding change is on my S1000RR? It don't believe it will have any impact of the flash rate when changing from Bulb to LED, but am hoping it will prevent the LAMP! error code from being thrown?

I have been playing resistors, etc, and have the bike currently working as expected when ignition is on but engine is off, but when the engine is running, obviously the voltage is up and it therefore changes the required resistance. Given I have replaced both front and back indicators with LEDs, if I can get rid of the resistors all together, that would be awesome.

The flash rate does not bother me, but throwing an error is a PITA, particularly given the dash error covers the temperature gauge in the dash.

Thanks in advance.
Huthy

ozhuthy

Re: KOMBI - Coding - Change indicator type (LED or bulb)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 12:46:33 AM »
Well... following up on this myself....

It seems to do 3/5ths of jack!!

I actually have zero idea as to what this setting does. I have tried it on both, and the behaviour of the indicators and error codes seems to be identical.

If anyone has any insight into what this parameter is actually supposed to do, that would be marvellous.

Cheers,
Huthy.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 03:49:52 AM »
What year mode is the RR ?, be aware that the flash rate with LED will depend on the indicator/flasher circuit arrangements, on older models where there is a flasher relay you normally have to change out the relay or use resistors, on newer models where the "flasher relay" is actually an ECU firmware routine then there will be a coding parameter to change between globe & LED

The dash error can also be due to flasher current monitoring & if BMW have not provided the coding capability to change to LED then resistors are needed

ozhuthy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 03:55:25 AM »
It's a 2010 S1000RR.

I have set the coding via the GS911 to LED, but maybe I am still doing something wrong.

I have had resistors in, and out, and have lost track of the combinations.

So, if the coding has been set to LED, should all of the indicators be plugged in WITHOUT resistors and the world should be wonderful? Or are the 2010's using old school flasher tech?

Appreciate your feedback on this one.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 04:20:11 AM »
It's a 2010 S1000RR.

I have set the coding via the GS911 to LED, but maybe I am still doing something wrong.

I have had resistors in, and out, and have lost track of the combinations.

So, if the coding has been set to LED, should all of the indicators be plugged in WITHOUT resistors and the world should be wonderful? Or are the 2010's using old school flasher tech?

Appreciate your feedback on this one.

I would need to look at a wiring diagram to really comment further on your model specifics but if there is a coding parameter for LED then it should be a firmware "relay" & yes the LED indicators should be able to be plugged in without resistors for all to be wonderful after coding to LED

ozhuthy

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 04:41:34 AM »
Hi Wayne, thanks again for your response.

I will have a play over the weekend. I have left the fairings of for easy access to the front indicators... so that helps!!

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 04:51:57 AM »
Hi Wayne, thanks again for your response.

I will have a play over the weekend. I have left the fairings of for easy access to the front indicators... so that helps!!

Silly question, are the LED "globes" fitted BMW or after market ?

ozhuthy

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 05:22:29 AM »
Not a silly question at all... and here in the problem may exist...

Aftermarket.

Rizoma rears, and the MotoDynamic Flush Mounts up front.

I have the resistor combos correct (no errors and correct flash rate)... but given they are larger "ceramic" style resistors... I was hopeful I could get rid of them because they are a PITA.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 05:33:35 AM »
Not a silly question at all... and here in the problem may exist...

Aftermarket.

Rizoma rears, and the MotoDynamic Flush Mounts up front.

I have the resistor combos correct (no errors and correct flash rate)... but given they are larger "ceramic" style resistors... I was hopeful I could get rid of them because they are a PITA.

OK, understood, I have always avoided using resistors on older models as they just waste power but back in those days relays could be replaced, with these modern systems BMW have been known to do some comms to the actual LED flasher units (LIN BUS) which after market flashers dont support same with some other intelligent components in vehicles, I saw a classic of this type in an X5 this week with permanent errors due an after market reversing camera & display system, I doubt it would apply in your case but it would be a possibility, have a play over the weekend & see what you find, I will try to find time to look at a diagram

boomtheroom

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »
Did you manage to get this sorted? having same issue!

Well... following up on this myself....

It seems to do 3/5ths of jack!!

I actually have zero idea as to what this setting does. I have tried it on both, and the behaviour of the indicators and error codes seems to be identical.

If anyone has any insight into what this parameter is actually supposed to do, that would be marvellous.

Cheers,
Huthy.