Author Topic: New GS-911  (Read 141321 times)

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
New GS-911
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:52 PM »
There is a rumor of a new GS-911 on the horizon...  :D

What would you like to see changed from the current GS-911 to the NEW GS-911?

NOTE: this thread is not about getting us to promise and fix a release date!  It is not about quibbling about the cost!  If you want to mention cost, it better be to ask for our account number with the intention of depositing a minimum of $1million  :)

Stephan
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:46:42 PM by StephanT »
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Aladrian

• Beta testers
Re: New GS-911
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
Smaller is always better.   :)

Sounds like you've already covered the iOS problems with the wifi approach...

More personalization of the bike's on board computer.

Perhaps a higher real time value capability, with on-board storage and later retrieval.  (no drool smiley)

Al...

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
thanks Al,

for those that don't know what we're talking about, pls read this FAQ:
 http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/will-the-k1600-ever-be-supported

And have a look at this quick clip:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raShZE9CLdM[/youtube]

Regarding real-time values... we show what is available for every controller... the newer the controller the more real-time values it is able to present... (

..with on-board storage for later retrieval : tick

...more personalization : this is not dependent on the NEW GS-911 interface, but rather coding - we've started playing with this... but will be more detailed as soon as we cover the Instrument clusters in more detail... (as coding is in the KOMBI (cluster) unit)

best,
Stephan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:45:18 PM by kobus »
currently riding:

gr8ridn

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
Hi Stephan,

Will the"new" GS 911 work with the older bikes and the K48, K50 models?

Will there be an upgrade plan for existing customers?

Lastly, do you expect to bring this new tool to the July BMWMOA rally in Salem Or?

I look forward to seeing you there.
2014 R1200 GSA

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
Correct, all the current models that have the 10pin connector as well the the new chassis type referred to as K001 by BMW (with currently are the K48 and K50)

We're working real hard on the new unit and you will see it in action at the MOA

As for an upgrade plan, we'll have to think about this some more... (and you're welcome to make suggestions) - however I cannot see a way to do this yet... (given the size of the market vs. the development cost + cost of the product).

best,
Stephan
currently riding:

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
I will buy the new device when it is available.   I got my money worth from the original GS-911 and now that my GS is gone (I'm waiting for BMW to build the GSW I ordered) my original GS-911 went to a friend who still has a hexhead and has lusted over the device for a while.  That is all the "upgrade" I need.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »
I would really like to see a function to me able to marry an ABS controller to the the bikes electronics.  I often replace ABS pumps and each time it calls for a visit to the local dealer.

gr8ridn

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 07:41:25 AM »
Correct, all the current models that have the 10pin connector as well the the new chassis type referred to as K001 by BMW (with currently are the K48 and K50)

We're working real hard on the new unit and you will see it in action at the MOA

As for an upgrade plan, we'll have to think about this some more... (and you're welcome to make suggestions) - however I cannot see a way to do this yet... (given the size of the market vs. the development cost + cost of the product).

best,
Stephan

Thanks Stephen,

I appreciate the effort to show this new device at the MOA Rally in July. I will buy if it is available at that time. K50 on order :)

I will plan to sell my current GS 911 once I have the new GS 911.

Regards,
2014 R1200 GSA

beemer

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
Hi lads,thanks for doing a great job.Are you planning to add film sensor and ESA calibration?

Alfred

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »
First thing first...thank got we finally have a proper forum  :)

1) So my current bluetooth GS911 which I have had for only 18months will be useless for the new Wethead?...hmmm
2) From the looks the new one will finally be IPad/Iphone compatible?

3) Suggestion....look at the possibility to give us some kind of a discount for current owners of GS911, when the new one comes out. Just to ease the pain a bit.

If point 3) will be implemented at a fair offer, then I will keep the old one for others with current/past bikes to help them out if required.

I will be trading in my R1200RT Hexhead when the new Wasserkopf RT comes out.

spyker

• Beta testers
    • My Personal Weather Station
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »
To clarify, will the new unit be backward compatible with older bikes, or will I have to keep my existing GS-911 to service my 650 Dakar and 1200 Hexhead?
1200GS - Yeah baby!!
650GS Dakar - Wifeys

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
Hi lads,thanks for doing a great job.Are you planning to add film sensor and ESA calibration?
Indeed we are... Kobus is currently working on advanced ZFE (Central Vehicle Electronics) functions and will soon have a Beta out.. however the Fuel strip calibration will not be part of this Beta... we're still trying to find a bike with a fuel strip... all our bikes have floats...
currently riding:

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »
To clarify, will the new unit be backward compatible with older bikes, or will I have to keep my existing GS-911 to service my 650 Dakar and 1200 Hexhead?
Correct... the new one will support all models that have the round 10pin diagnostic connector... I'm thinking of dropping the support (on this NEW interface) for the older 3pin connector bikes... these bikes are 20+ years old now..
currently riding:

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
First thing first...thank got we finally have a proper forum  :)

1) So my current bluetooth GS911 which I have had for only 18months will be useless for the new Wethead?...hmmm
That is evolution... it happened to the cars a couple of years ago.. when the OEM changes the physical hardware interface... not much we can do about it.. except anticipate it, which we did, and why we started the development of the new interface 4 years ago...

you can read more on the generations here:
 http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/will-the-k1600-ever-be-supported

2) From the looks the new one will finally be IPad/Iphone compatible?
Or as I like to see it.. finally the iPad/iPhone will be GS-911 compatible...  8)

3) Suggestion....look at the possibility to give us some kind of a discount for current owners of GS911, when the new one comes out. Just to ease the pain a bit.

If point 3) will be implemented at a fair offer, then I will keep the old one for others with current/past bikes to help them out if required.
fair - it is such an open ended concept... Discounting an already very low cost product is not that easy when the margins are as small as they are... with the size of the market and the (already generous) market penetration the current Enthusiast GS-911 should be retailing for a lot more than it is... (which is why some people what to know why we are running this community project...)

People can buy a bash plate for $300-$400.. this bash plate is designed in less than a man-month... and then sent off for mass manufacturing... ...there are not 4 engineers, and a few other support staff that are working on the upgraded version on a daily basis... You've had your GS-911 for 18months.. every 3 months there is a new Beta version... that's a minimum of 6 updates... how many of those versions have you paid for?

Now back to the original question... of whether the initial price of $349 (or $299 for the USB-only version) was a fair price?  ;)

We have found an elegant solution (I think) to half of the problem.. in that the Professional interface is more expensive than the Enthusiast one... The thinking is clear... if you are making money using the tool, then you should be willing to contribute a little more to it's maintenance...

Hmmm - maybe we should implement that update fee that we were contemplating...  :P

best,
Stephan
currently riding:

gr8ridn

• Beta testers
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
Got My K50 and sold the 1200RT so I have no use for the GS 911. The GS 911 was added to that sale. It shouldn't be a problem selling your used GS 911 once you upgrade to the new version.  I say let Stephen and his group launch their new product at a fair price considering their time and effort to develop the new product. I got a lot of value from my previous unit with the  software updates and the versatility to work on several of my bikes.

It's not that hard to sell your existing device. When you buy that new motorcycle with the latest electronics consider the new GS 911 as an option for the DIY owner, just like new special tools and repair manuals.
2014 R1200 GSA