Author Topic: New GS-911  (Read 140794 times)

Theo

• Touring Panpsychist
Re: New GS-911
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »
Just wondering how long the current GS-911 would be supported after the NEW GS-911 hits the market? I'm not sure if you've had discussions regarding anticipated horizon for the current unit's deprecation, but the longer it can be supported (without new features, mind you), the easier it will be for current customers to sell their old units and invest in the new ones. Thus, you would be, in effect, "discounting" the new units for current customers by ensuring the viability of the (old) used GS-911 market.

This support for the old unit could be limited to operational issues and "how-to" questions. No new software with new features or new bike models would be issued. Essentially, the product would be frozen for a period of time (a year or two?) before it becomes officially deprecated.

Thoughts?
Theo
09 R1200RT

"I stayed up all night wondering where the sun went...then it dawned on me!"

spyker

• Beta testers
    • My Personal Weather Station
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »
To clarify, will the new unit be backward compatible with older bikes, or will I have to keep my existing GS-911 to service my 650 Dakar and 1200 Hexhead?
Correct... the new one will support all models that have the round 10pin diagnostic connector... I'm thinking of dropping the support (on this NEW interface) for the older 3pin connector bikes... these bikes are 20+ years old now..

That is great news! Can't wait to get my hands on the first one!  ;D ;D
1200GS - Yeah baby!!
650GS Dakar - Wifeys

Dmftoy1

• Beta testers
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
Money and free beer in hand Stephan!!  (Just sayin)

:) - my k1600 is really tired of the 100 mile boring ride to the dealer for the service light reset.

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »

:) - my k1600 is really tired of the 100 mile boring ride to the dealer for the service light reset.

;D
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

gr8ridn

• Beta testers
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »

At least your dealer will reset the service reminder. Talking to my service manager no reset without the service being done in the shop. Something about liability being assumed for work they didn't do. The service reminder will quickly annoy me when it lights up along with the general warning.

This is just one reason I hope the new device comes out soon. Reading fault codes, reading dynamic  values, exercising the fan, and doing a proper ABS brake flush/bleeds are just a few reasons this tool is indispensable for correct DIY servicing.
2014 R1200 GSA

Dmftoy1

• Beta testers
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 12:46:56 AM »
They happily charge me $50 per reset.   If my service mgr said something like that to me I'd be talking with the owner.  On a new bike they should do it as a courtesy IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hjsgs911

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 02:01:34 PM »
2) From the looks the new one will finally be IPad/Iphone compatible?
Or as I like to see it.. finally the iPad/iPhone will be GS-911 compatible...  8)
How will the new device connect to an iPad (bluetooth, lightning, ...)? How will you achieve the compatibility? From the video clip above it seems the software will run in a browser, i.e. independent from hardware that way.

Is there an expected shipping date for the new GS911?

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »
How will the new device connect to an iPad (bluetooth, lightning, ...)? How will you achieve the compatibility? From the video clip above it seems the software will run in a browser, i.e. independent from hardware that way.
wifi and browser..

Is there an expected shipping date for the new GS911?
..when it's ready  :D
currently riding:

tuscany5932

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »
It would be nice to modify Canbus settings such as activating alarm, fog lights, or ASC units if you install them yourself.

ebbo

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
A new model with adapter for an extension cable. Other than that, smaller is always better but not at the sacrifice of strength

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »
A new model with adapter for an extension cable. Other than that, smaller is always better but not at the sacrifice of strength
ebbo, what bike do you have?

We've been through several versions of extensions... some plain some new connectors and other developments... but none are perfect... always have a problem on the low seat position on some of the bikes like the RT etc...

best,
Stephan
currently riding:

naron

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »
First thing first...thank got we finally have a proper forum  :)

1) So my current bluetooth GS911 which I have had for only 18months will be useless for the new Wethead?...hmmm
That is evolution... it happened to the cars a couple of years ago.. when the OEM changes the physical hardware interface... not much we can do about it.. except anticipate it, which we did, and why we started the development of the new interface 4 years ago...

you can read more on the generations here:
 http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/will-the-k1600-ever-be-supported

2) From the looks the new one will finally be IPad/Iphone compatible?
Or as I like to see it.. finally the iPad/iPhone will be GS-911 compatible...  8)

3) Suggestion....look at the possibility to give us some kind of a discount for current owners of GS911, when the new one comes out. Just to ease the pain a bit.

If point 3) will be implemented at a fair offer, then I will keep the old one for others with current/past bikes to help them out if required.
fair - it is such an open ended concept... Discounting an already very low cost product is not that easy when the margins are as small as they are... with the size of the market and the (already generous) market penetration the current Enthusiast GS-911 should be retailing for a lot more than it is... (which is why some people what to know why we are running this community project...)

People can buy a bash plate for $300-$400.. this bash plate is designed in less than a man-month... and then sent off for mass manufacturing... ...there are not 4 engineers, and a few other support staff that are working on the upgraded version on a daily basis... You've had your GS-911 for 18months.. every 3 months there is a new Beta version... that's a minimum of 6 updates... how many of those versions have you paid for?

Now back to the original question... of whether the initial price of $349 (or $299 for the USB-only version) was a fair price?  ;)

We have found an elegant solution (I think) to half of the problem.. in that the Professional interface is more expensive than the Enthusiast one... The thinking is clear... if you are making money using the tool, then you should be willing to contribute a little more to it's maintenance...

Hmmm - maybe we should implement that update fee that we were contemplating...  :P

best,
Stephan

Hello, I think the cost of product development is important but always as a function of the technical means that they have and the money that is invested in them.

Do not think it's a good idea to charge for updates (without diminishing the work) as the news that appear in most betas are not too relevant.

I think the product would be really much more attractive if we could be calibrated modules and install new or used such devices. abs modules, zfe units, alarms, sensors, fuel, etc.. this would be more acceptable  when paying for updates.

I encourage you to continue to develop the software, since in any case it is always better any development, you have to rely on the dealer.

Many greetings;

Enrique

cooter

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »
Hi lads,thanks for doing a great job.Are you planning to add film sensor and ESA calibration?
Indeed we are... Kobus is currently working on advanced ZFE (Central Vehicle Electronics) functions and will soon have a Beta out.. however the Fuel strip calibration will not be part of this Beta... we're still trying to find a bike with a fuel strip... all our bikes have floats...

I have a film sensor in my 07K1200GT. Its currently dead. I'm toying with replacing it myself (if I could calibrate it) or having the dealer do it @ $500+. I guess I'm kind of far away to let you work with my bike. hmmm...

Lupusz

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 02:06:38 AM »
I would wish me a physically stronger USB connection (USB A or B or USB 3.0B) for the new device for going on a test rides for data collection. I broke the MINI connector of the device already two times and I'm afraid I have to rebuy the device soon ...  :(

At least I would wish myself a mechanical strain relief, in order to not pull out the plug socket from the board when tension is applied.

The device was sold with a "professionell" version, so I would wish that cable connection would be more robust.

Cheers,
Lupusz
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:09:55 AM by Lupusz »

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »
I would wish me a physically stronger USB connection (USB A or B or USB 3.0B) for the new device for going on a test rides for data collection. I broke the MINI connector of the device already two times and I'm afraid I have to rebuy the device soon ...  :(

At least I would wish myself a mechanical strain relief, in order to not pull out the plug socket from the board when tension is applied.

The device was sold with a "professionell" version, so I would wish that cable connection would be more robust.

Cheers,
Lupusz
hi Lupusz

the new one has the USB B type connector (like a printer)

best,
Stephan
currently riding: