Author Topic: URGENT !! Need Help for 2016 R1200gs lc camshalf sensor  (Read 11865 times)

Chetz86

URGENT !! Need Help for 2016 R1200gs lc camshalf sensor
« on: August 02, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
Hi all,

Too bad for my bike again. I found out via GS 911 that my bike got another fault code appear.

21FD31 camshalf sensor input signal. No signal edge detected.

After i pull out the camshalf sensor that link at the boxer there. I clean it up and install back again. Then more worst, at GS911 appear a new fault code 21FD32.

Anyone can give me some detail on this ?

Please..

Tan

Mornay

• Beta testers
Re: URGENT !! Need Help for 2016 R1200gs lc camshalf sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »
Hi Tan,

The new error code description is Camshaft, inlet, invalid position

I don't have much more mechanical suggestions, however I'm sure the always-helpful users on the forum will be able to give you some pointers

schuppi

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »
I clean it up and install back again?

Hello Tan
Which dirt on the sensor?
Possibly metallic residues, the sensor is magnetic. If so, I would check camshafts and valve actuation for damage.

Fault code 21FD32 requires checking the valve timing, camshafts and chains
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

GS Jim

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
Here is a bit of info for you Tan on the 21FD32 code

DME (BMSX ?)detects an incorrect number or signals from the camshaft sensor.
Too many or too few camshaft signals are present within several camshaft rotations.
The number or sequence of the camshaft signals is implausible.

Check wiring, wiring harness and plug connector to camshaft sensor.
Check plug connector wiring harness to the DME.
Check camshaft sensor.
Remove camshaft sensor and check for contamination (metal abrasion).
Check sensor gap to camshaft.

The difference between the first code (21FD31) is The DME detects no signal from camshaft sensor.
No camshaft signal is present within several crankshaft revolutions. So you may have improved it with the first cleaning, I would try again and check the other things also.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 05:32:52 PM »
You may need to check you cam timing.  These cam go out of sync over time and need to be loosened, adjusted correctly and tightened again.  The timing arm is also attached to the lower cam with a pinch bolt that may be loose.

blaizer

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »
I have to agree with Jughead as regards cam timing. Before anything else this would be the first thing I would check.If you ask your BMW dealer to check the cam timing they nearly always say "yes it's fine" Truth is most of them don't have the tools to do the job properly.You cannot,despite what people may tell you,do the job without the proper tools.The tools are, Cam Chain Pre Tensioner,Top dead centre locking pin and a Camshaft alignment tool that fits on the end of both camshafts.
I have these tools and have checked dozens on boxer LC engine bikes,one was brand new.The Cam timing was off on all of them.
As Jughead said,the cam position trigger is on the right side lower camshaft which is held by a pinch bolt that is tightened to 6Nm.If you check the alignment marks on this,you will almost certainly find it to be off.
If you go onto YouTube,look for a channel by Boxflyer,I think you will find this to be the most helpful place you could find.

beech

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 06:54:09 AM »
Did you have the cylinder at TDC when you removed and replaced the sensor. The mark on the reluctor (part on the cam shaft) lines up with the sensor bottom edge at TDC. As per OEM DVD picture.
As mentioned, the cam shaft easily looses or never had the correct timing. Only using the factory tools, all three, can this be accomplished.

AlaGS

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 11:56:35 PM »
blaizer, I do all of my own work (closest dealer is 150 miles away) I fully understand what tools are needed to time/sync the cams and why. My dealer does not have them. Can you provide any help as to where one might purchase them? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

AlaGS - 2015 GS 87K miles.

blaizer

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
Hi AlaGS,
 I purchased the tools needed from Rybrook BMW Parts, in Warwick UK. www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-spare-parts/
Here are the tools and part numbers you will need
Cam Chain Pre-Tensioner 83300444292
Tensioner Collar  83302339885
Crankshaft Locking Pin  83302327790
Camshaft Jig  83302327796
    Hope this helps you out.
     Best Regards

AlaGS

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 05:01:04 PM »
blaizer,
Part numbers included! Brilliant! Didn't expect all of this. I appreciate the information.
Tools are on order. (They really like the timing chain Tensioner don't they. Oh well, it is a BMW...)

Thank you very much

AlaGS