Author Topic: Tank Switch Error  (Read 5503 times)

PRG

Tank Switch Error
« on: July 23, 2019, 12:55:49 AM »
Have been having an error code: 80401, Tank Switch Error, under the Keyless Entry, XSLZ.  I have a 2015 R1200RT.  From before the error code the gas cap could not be opened if the bike was running or the key fob was not near.  Now the gas cap can be opened any time.  Other than that, the bike performs fine.  Suggestions?
Cheers from the Okanogan Highlands of Washington State, USA.

sophmattjack

Re: Tank Switch Error
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »
HI
Did you find out what the problem was with the tank switch error message as i have exactly the same come up when i did an auto scan?

PRG

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
No, in answer to your question.  I've not found the means to correct it. Other than taking it to the BMW dealer for lots of $$$.  I imagine they would have to delete the controller program and re-load the code.  The only other symptom I've noticed is that occasionally while I start the bike it will reset all my programed displays.  I simply just reset them and on with the ride.  However, I would hope that I don't get locked out for being able to start the bike in the middle of, say, the mountain roads of northern Oregon, USA.  No BMW dealers within 300 miles or so.  If you have any clues regarding this error, please let me know.
Cheers,
Paul G.
Okanogan Highlands, WA. State, USA.

Jordi

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
Managed to clear mine. Opening and closing didn't do anything to the error message; however:

I Opened and close the tank. Put the bike on steering lock --> put the alarm on --> ditched the key out of range, and tried to open the tank. after the first try it wouldn't open anymore and the error was gone.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 01:01:59 PM by Jordi »