Author Topic: G650GS running rough  (Read 5757 times)

GS Lee

G650GS running rough
« on: March 28, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
I admit, I'm over my head and need some help.

A few weeks ago, after an afternoon of riding, my wife's G650 began running poorly. The engine was idling rough, and stumbling when starting off. It continued running poorly and stumbling all the way home. GS911 indictated one fault code- it was 288-unknown. Unknown? I cannot find an explanation of this code in relation to the G650 . Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
Lee

GS Lee

Re: G650GS running rough
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
More information ... it is a 2016, with <2000 miles on the odometer. 6 months ago it went I to the shop for a no start situation. Fuel pump and wiring harness were replaced, the bike was in the shop over 2 months. Even though it is under warranty we don't want to give the bike up for months again, that is why we purchased the 911

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 02:23:08 AM »
If it is under warranty then take it in & let the Dealer resolve the fault

Which ECU does the GS911 indicate the error code is associated with ?, assuming it is the BMS-E I suspect the 288 will mean Throttle Position Sensor

GS Lee

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 03:40:34 AM »
Thanks for your time and input. I am not sure I know enough to answer your question about the ecu, it was the engine module not the abs module . This is new to me and I am trying to learn. I found some codes, and know that on my 1150 GSA 288 is the TPS, however have not been able to confirm it on the 650. We put the bike in the shop last August for a warranty repair and didn’t get it back until November (a week before it snowed) I knew what the problem was then and could have fixed it myself, but it would have been very expensive so we waited. When I called the dealer today to ask how long they were backed up they asked if I had bought the bike from them! Then they told me at least six weeks.  I am stubborn and want to try and take care of these things myself. Plus l’ll have to take it out of state to get it to the next nearest dealer.

Lee

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 04:16:11 AM »
The Engine Management ECU is the BMS-E on your bike & it was subject to 2 recalls due poor behaviour so has the bike had both recall firmware updates done ?, the TPS address on the 650gs is the same as the 1150GSA, 288, which is why I suspect it is the cause of the error code

The US recalls provide the most info, you can get the info including the complete test procedure the Dealers were required to follow from the US NHTSA web site, they are recalls 15V537 & 16V689, use the search page below & select Vehicle to enter the recall No

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:18:25 AM by WayneC »

GS Lee

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 05:22:54 AM »
I know that at least one recall was addressed before she purchased the bike, we will check to be certain the other has Ben performed also. I appreciate you confirming that the code was indeed the same as on the 1150. It took a while to dig the info out, but what I found sounds like the same symptoms that I am experiencing. I was unable to reset the code with the 911 the other day, so tomorrow I will disconnect the battery to reset it.If that fails I will go to the dealer. Again thank you very much for your help.

Lee

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 05:32:40 AM »
Disconnecting power does not reset anything, that is an urban myth, what you should do is use GS911 to reset adaptions then start it & idle it without using throttle to rebuild adpations, GS911 PC App will guide you & explain it on screen