Author Topic: ABS disabled > will not reset  (Read 10428 times)

cschwel

ABS disabled > will not reset
« on: April 08, 2019, 12:53:30 AM »
I have a 2012 R1200R BMW, took out for first ride today. The ABS & warning lights came on after 125 miles. Took it home, hooked up to GS 911.
it had 2 faults, Low voltage detected & rear sensor unavailable. They both reset & are clear. The ABS light stays on & the ABS disable switch shows activated.
How do I turn that switch back on? \
Thank you in advance first time user

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: ABS disabled > will not reset
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:51:41 AM »
I have a 2012 R1200R BMW, took out for first ride today. The ABS & warning lights came on after 125 miles. Took it home, hooked up to GS 911.
it had 2 faults, Low voltage detected & rear sensor unavailable. They both reset & are clear. The ABS light stays on & the ABS disable switch shows activated.
How do I turn that switch back on? \
Thank you in advance first time user

You will possibly not be able to turn it on under the circumstances you have.  There is also a difference between clearing the fault code and resolving the fault that caused the code.  It would appear that you have cleared the code but not resolved the fault.  If you ran the Autoscan again after cycling the ignition, you would most likely find that the "Rear Sensor Unavailable" error is back.  The sensor is crucial to the reset and functioning of the ABS unit.

When you turn the ignition on the ABS pump will initialize, check all related components (front and rear sensors included) and wait for the wheels to start rotating. When they do, the front and rear sensors measure their rotation and the pump is activated (at this point the light goes out).  You can then choose to manually disable the ABS unit using the switch provided (in which case the light will come back on).

However, should the initialization and check pick up an error (in your case a rear sensor that is "Unavailable") it will not be able to complete the initialization process, and the ABS light will remain on and the unit disabled until the physical fault has been resolved.  Since the unit has been disabled due to a physical fault, you will not be able to turn it back on.

My suggestion would be to check the wiring to the rear sensor.  Have you had the rear wheel removed lately?  If so, check that the rear sensor wiring has not pulled out of the retaining clip.  When it does, it will come in contact with the rear brake disk, which subsequently rubs through the wiring, causing the sensor to fail. 

Also check the wiring further up the swingarm.  It disappears under a small plastic cover on the torsion bar together with the rear brake pipe.  In front of the plastic cover it leaves the torsion bar and is cable tied to the frame.  Often the cable gets pinched between the torsion bar pivot point and the frame, resulting in the cable being cut as the swingarm moves up and down.

cschwel

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »
In paragraph 2 you speak of  a switch to disable ABS, where or how is it done? I visually checked the wire to rear sensor> all good
NO faults found, still showing "ABS disable switch actuated"

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 06:49:56 AM »
In paragraph 2 you speak of  a switch to disable ABS, where or how is it done? I visually checked the wire to rear sensor> all good
NO faults found, still showing "ABS disable switch actuated"

Can you post an Autoscan or just post your VIN number please?

cschwel

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 03:55:05 PM »
yesterday I rode again, Now no speedometer/odometer. going to hook up again & test rear wheel sensor thank you

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »
yesterday I rode again, Now no speedometer/odometer. going to hook up again & test rear wheel sensor thank you

That rear sensor is faulty.  It also provides the signal for the speedo/odo, thus no reading.

cschwel

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 06:02:10 PM »
Fault code was back" rear sensor inplausible".  Now does any body have a source for a new one? $168 USD from the dealer  ouch

GS Jim

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 06:05:33 PM »
Try using "live values" to see what the speed sensor is doing, just spin the rear wheel by hand and observe the reading, do the same for the front to give you an idea of what to expect. If you havn't already, remove the sensor from the housing and check it for obvious issues.
 I believe the switch Jughead is talking about is the one located on the left handlebar, labeled ABS, you use this for toggling the ABS and/or Traction Control on/off.

cschwel

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
 I have no switch on either side for ABS> only ASC on the left side. 2012 R1200R Vin #WB1049001C2X96912

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 07:07:23 AM »
I have no switch on either side for ABS> only ASC on the left side. 2012 R1200R Vin #WB1049001C2X96912

That is why I asked for the VIN earlier.  Some models come with the ABS switch, some without.  Yours is one of the models without.  Your left switch cluster would be the one in the diagram below.

I am assuming that the message relating to the ABS switch in the diagnostics is because the ABS controller self-diagnostics cannot be completed and it is assuming that it cannot be completed because the switch has been activated. And you know what they say about assumption.  I would just ignore that message.  It will go away when the rear sensor issue has been resolved.

Two other things you can check before replacing the sensor. 

1.  Follow the cabling you inspected earlier to where the plug is that plugs the sensor into the harness.  Not exactly sure of your model, but it should be somewhere under the seat close to the rear upper shock mount and your preload adjuster.
 Unplug it and make sure there is no corrosion on the contacts.

2.  Remove the sensor from the Final Drive.  You will need to remove the rear wheel to do so.  There are 2 small torx screws, one holding the cable retainer and the other holding the sensor in place.  You will have to remove both.  Pull the sensor out of the FD, taking care not to loose the 0-ring or any shims that are installed.  Inspect the end of the sensor.  If it has a lot of what looks like iron filings on the end of the "magnetic tip", clean it all off and reinstall the sensor.  Also inspect the cable where it is held in place by the retainer for damage.

Having said all that, if you do have what looks like a Christmas tree of iron filings on the end of the sensor, you have another rather serious and expensive issue.  Any bits of metal adhering to the end of the sensor would indicate that one of the internal bearings in the FD is busy failing, and I would have that attended to ASAP.

cschwel

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 10:34:20 PM »
sensor removed & new one on order.Checked wheel speeds B4 removing > the front one was smooth , rear was erratic mostly 0 km/h,
will let you know when it is a done deal. thanks for all input

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 07:07:52 AM »
sensor removed & new one on order.Checked wheel speeds B4 removing > the front one was smooth , rear was erratic mostly 0 km/h,
will let you know when it is a done deal. thanks for all input

[emoji106]

cschwel

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »
new sensor installed, problem solved. First time I used the GS 911 to troubleshoot.
Thanks for all the technical assistance. Done deal