Author Topic: Fuel pump fuse issue  (Read 4928 times)

commandoallan

Fuel pump fuse issue
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
Hey all,

Could do with a little advice.

I have changed the fuel pump on my R1200GSA (2008), it starts up and runs fine but then the bike cuts out after 30 seconds or so in idle, it has also cut out several times when going along the road. When the GS911 was connected it showed multiple instances of the new fuel pump tripping the electronic fuse.

Voltage when tripped seems to be around 6V and up. Has anyone got any idea what the internal electronic fuse is set at and if the previously connect "Ground???" wire on the old pump is used for anything? The new pump did not have a ground wire or a connector for this existing wire.

My readout from the GS is attached.

Many thanks.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: Fuel pump fuse issue
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:07:19 PM »
Firstly, why did you need to change the pump?

Secondly, what pump did you replace it with?

There are only 2 wires to the pump, +12V and -ve, a red and brown wire IIRC.  Where is the other "ground" you are referring to?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:09:25 PM by Jughead »

commandoallan

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
I was having intermittent power issues which presented itself as a lack of power at high speeds for a length time around 4-5 k revs and the bike has 60,000 miles on it so looked online and decided to change the pump as a starting point (at low revs the bike was fine).

I used a new pump bought off of Ebay (not OEM) that had been advised by others on the UKGSER site, they have not had issues with theirs. When I have carried out some research I think the BMW fuel pump electronic fuse protects at 5 amps and the pump I have fitted has a maximum of 11 amps current draw stated, whilst I understand that this would point to being the issue it has been advertised as being for my model bike with a straight swap and is in use with no issues by others.

I had previously had two coils replaced but this did not cure the problem, I have now changed the remaining two coils and am looking to change the fuel pump controller next with maybe the fuel pressure regulator also.

The pump works fine on start up at idle but the bike cuts out after 30 seconds or so with the message "fuse activated for electric fuel pump" when left to run. This is apparent at a very frequent rate with the amps of the pump being recorded at 6 amp minimum and up to 7 amp (cannot upload the GS911 screenshot onto here for some reason?

The ground wire on the old pump came off the negative that was in the pump side connector and the other end connected onto a lug on the main housing side that screws into the tank.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 08:34:43 AM »
I would suggest borrowing another 1200 tank, complete with pump and controller, from A KNOWN GOOD BIKE, and then taking it for a ride to check whether the issue reoccurs.