Author Topic: 2014 R1200GSA LC Erratic Behavior  (Read 5225 times)

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
2014 R1200GSA LC Erratic Behavior
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:47:56 AM »
Bike is a 2014 R1200GSA LC.  Bike idles fine while cold.  As soon as it warms up, however, the idle jumps to around 3000rpm and stays there.  The "drive by wire" link between the throttle twistgrip and the throttle bodies also fails, so no amount of twisting the throttle makes and changes in rpm.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ai_Cw9YY7Uk[/youtube]

Autoscan is attached.  Any ideas?

{EDIT} For some reason the system tells me I cannot attach a .pdf file.  Will have to get that sorted first.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:49:27 AM by Jughead »

schuppi

Re: 2014 R1200GSA LC Erratic Behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
Hello Jughead

engine in emergency mode.  Stored fault codes to find the issue?

Reading the real time values for the throttle twistgrip and the throttle bodies would be my first work.
Defective sensors of tthe twistgrip are wellknown.

Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Christopher Sparks

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
Mine did the same and all I did was reset the adaptive values using the GS911. I did however remove the throttle bodies and gave them a good clean as I had been using crappy fuel in other countries, I believe this also helped. It’s an easy job, you just need to know how to remove the muffler clamp. Can provide photo if required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
Mine did the same and all I did was reset the adaptive values using the GS911. I did however remove the throttle bodies and gave them a good clean as I had been using crappy fuel in other countries, I believe this also helped. It’s an easy job, you just need to know how to remove the muffler clamp. Can provide photo if required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have cleaned throttle bodies and reset adaptations.  Makes no difference at all.  Will post some realtime graphs tomorrow.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:19:47 AM »
So I Have been able to replicate this problem multiple times, and the error travels with the LHS throttle body. 

I have moved the throttle body left to right, as well as to a second, problem free bike, and there too, left to right.  The error and symptoms are persistent and always point to that particular throttle body.

Going to replace it and attempt to dismantle the faulty one to see what makes it tick.  Will update here.