Author Topic: Cannot reset Service  (Read 12487 times)

ADV Bike Shop

Cannot reset Service
« on: June 23, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
Help needed before I tear my hair out

I have serviced my R1200GS-LC 2015, I have my GS911 set up on my lap top, everything works but when I go into special functions to reset the service interval I get a no internet connection error message, I have checked and checked again, internet is connected, i have tried doing this with the lead connecting the GS911 to the USB port but still get the same error message.

I have also tried downloading the App then connecting the GS911 to the iPhone, some error message, I have watched several videos and tried using the D2D mode as well, always the same bloody error message

I had lots of problems last year with the GS911 and finally it was replaced as faulty, the new one worked fine but that was about a year ago (July 17) now I need to service my 1200GS-LC again and I can do everything except reset the service interval

What I really do not understand is why the need for an internet connection when its plugged into my laptop and on D2D same thing when i try to set the service interval using the phone app

Cheers

Cliff

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Cannot reset Service
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 03:58:47 AM »

What I really do not understand is why the need for an internet connection when its plugged into my laptop and on D2D same thing when i try to set the service interval using the phone app

When using the Web Interface, maintenance functions are via the cloud so require internet, in D2D mode it is local & not for maintenance functions

Do you have the PC Application installed or just the WiFi utility ?

When using the PC Application and the GS911 connected via USB all functionality is local without requiring the internet

ADV Bike Shop

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
Probably have just the WiFi utility loaded, will try and download the PC application

Cheers

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
Probably have just the WiFi utility loaded, will try and download the PC application

Cheers

Yes I suspected so, when you use the PC App and access the GS911 via either USB cable or via TCP/IP across a workshop WiFi network full functionality comes fro the PC App. In a workshop net for either BMW car or bike both wired LAN and WiFi would be set up to enable wireless access to vehicles for diagnosis, GS911 WiFi is designed to fit into that network situation, it is only programming that then needs wired LAN to the vehicle

ADV Bike Shop

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 01:50:11 PM »
so even with the PC connected to the internet via wifi and the GS911 connected to the same wifi it will not let be do the sevice intervals using the GS911 utility software ?

Cheers

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:08:48 PM »
so even with the PC connected to the internet via wifi and the GS911 connected to the same wifi it will not let be do the sevice intervals using the GS911 utility software ?

Cheers

The WiFi utility is only to find the GS911 WiFi, perform firmware updates & then launch a web browser to access the GS911 html interface, it is simply to make it easy for non technical  people and those who dont are not familiar with set up of LAN's/Routers etc to have the systems always allocate the same TCP/IP No to each device in a workshop network, once a network is set  up the WiFi utility is not normally needed

Where you are using a web browser to access the GS911 WiFi and the WiFi network has internet then the maintenance functions are accessed by using the Hexcode cloud service
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:11:24 PM by WayneC »

ADV Bike Shop

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
Just downloaded this again - download-arrow1s.png  GS-911wifi Utility for Windows PC  [3.4MB]

Green light on GS911 suggests its connected to the internet, clicked on identify device and the GS911 beeps, I still get the error message that internet is not connected, when I try it with the GS911 plugged into laptop I get the same error message, either I am missing something obvious here or there is something wrong with the GS911 tool

Internet here is very good, signal is strong on my laptop, GS911 appears to be connected

I would be happy using it connected by the USB lead but I cannot get that to work at all

Cliff

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
Just downloaded this again - download-arrow1s.png  GS-911wifi Utility for Windows PC  [3.4MB]
Cliff,

Go back and read my previous posts, all you have done is download the WiFi Utility again, you need the PC App

https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/downloads

Grab the downloader from the page linked above, run it on your PC with the GS911 plugged into a USB port, that then allows download of the PC App after downloading the PC App install it on your PC

ADV Bike Shop

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 03:33:51 PM »
Finally all done now, problem was instructuons tell you it will open the application but you get a window saying "copy to clipboard" so clicked ok and then spent ages looking for the Clipboard on my computer, after a google seacrch found i just needed to open another tab and paste, in hindsight it should have been obvious but was not
Cheers
Cliff

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
What windows version are you using ?, not using Microsoft Edge browser by any chance ?

ADV Bike Shop

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »
Using windows 8 and the windows browser

Cheers

Cliff

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
Using windows 8 and the windows browser

Cheers

Cliff

OK, understood, you may find it better to install an alternative browser and make it the default, the microsoft browsers are problematic, with the new Edge worst, less than 10-15% of people using my 650gs web site use MS browsers, most are either Chrome, Firefox or Safari

ADV Bike Shop

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, on my desk top I now use chrome, will change teh default on my laptop to chrome

Which f650gs website ? I used to use Chain Gang forum but that was years ago (got an F650 Funduro and Strada that Jenny and myself rode overland UK to NZ back in 2002/3

Cheers

Cliff

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »
Which f650gs website ? I used to use Chain Gang forum but that was years ago (got an F650 Funduro and Strada that Jenny and myself rode overland UK to NZ back in 2002/3

I set up http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ to cover the FI models, we still use Chain Gang & Advrider for discussion I simply have info

Re UK RTW riders we have just had Norman & Maggie Magowan of https://adventuresinyellow.wordpress.com/ in Oz & NZ, great people, they took the time to come & say gidday & along with one of the NZ owners I know we assisted with a few repairs, they are in Canada now

ADV Bike Shop

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »
Norman and Maggie are good people, they travelled a bit after us, we did keep a wesite of ourt travels mainly for family and freinds back home www.twowheeltrekkers.co.uk its not been updated in years, still got the two F650's just got mine back on the road, jenny's will be on the ramp in the next few weeks, want to have them both at the Overland Event in early September

Cheers

Cliff