Author Topic: Tire pressure sensors again  (Read 5027 times)

bullfrog_28560

Tire pressure sensors again
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:49:36 AM »
I have a 2014 1200GS, the bike sat for a year fro the most part due to OCONUS location of myself. When i got back, the rear tire sensor would show the pressure, then a line would be in place of the PSI, the 911 does not show low battery. At times i get the exclamation point for the rear pressure sensor. while riding i can watch the sensor work and not work. I still do not have a fix, out of warranty, not paying BMW to troubleshoot. Any suggestions?

hefy_jefy

Re: Tire pressure sensors again
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
Pretty much the same symptoms.
I am just replacing the rear sensor on my 2014 RTW - the BMW price is $222 (!!)  I got one on eBay for $86, there are cheaper (Chinese) ones around but they don't have a good reputation.  As far as I can tell this is a genuine Schrader unit with a BMW part no molded into the unit, and its brand new.
Make sure you get the ID number (7 digit number) before you have it fitted at the next tire change.
Also its possible to change the battery if you are lucky, although this does not appear to be a battery problem.
Geoff

coma

Re: Tire pressure sensors again
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »
I did a bit of online research about the wake up and registering of the the sensor numbers. Long story short is a late model Chevy TPMS, 2012 on, will wake the sensors up. I have a TPMS learn tool for my 2013 Silverado and a 2008 R1200GS. Turn the GS ignition on and cycle to RDC, hold the TPMS tool to the tire next to the BMW wheel sensor and give it a 3 sec wake up. Bingo TPMS registers on both wheels.

This gives the procedure for registering the new code. They must be in decimal vs hexadecimal. Converter

The tool I used is the EL-50448, under $15 with a Google search.
2008 R1200GS