Author Topic: Servo ABS - Help to understand error codes on 911  (Read 8136 times)

pharme

Servo ABS - Help to understand error codes on 911
« on: March 21, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
Bike is a 03' 1150GSA, servo assisted brakes aka I-ABS modulator.

I did a full flush/bleed on both brakes, both on the under tank reservoirs and the 6 nipples (following the order #1, #2, #3 and #1).

With 911 docked in, bleeding tests on both brakes PASSED, drift test PASSED and sensor pressure all within specs, btw 18 to 19+ bar. However, when bleeding test is completed, the ABS light blinks at 4Hz, the triangle sign lit on on dashboard. This is indication of at least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode, as i understood. Strange thing is that when riding i don't get any lights up on dashboard.

Went and perform an auto scan it shows 17418: internal control module error : rear pressure (at times front pressure) to high(>5.5bar). And right after this error, i ran another round of bleeding, drift test and check sensor pressure, they are all fine. I've been in and out of this routine of bleeding (3 to 4 times) and now i cannot be certain to say if my rear is running on residual brakes.

Another symptom i notice that when either front or rear brakes are engaged fully and quickly, i can hear cracking sound coming from rear caliper. This is only when ignition is turned on and when off it's quiet.

One more other symptom. On end of rides, when ignition is turned off, i can still hear the ABS module whining, fiddling with brake lever/pedal doesnt help. It goes off after i turn ignition off and on again.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIwWKrcIl0[/youtube]

Need some advice on this as i am preparing a trip in 2 months time, so like to have this sorted with no worries on braking power.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:37:16 PM by pharme »

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: Servo ABS - Help to understand error codes on 911
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:05:54 AM »
Firstly, the crackle you hear is normal.  They all do that.  Have never really investigated where it comes from but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

When bleeding the ABS pump, number the nipples 1 to 6 from front to rear.  The bleed order should be 1,2,4,1 for the front, not 1,2,3,1.  For the rear it is 6,5,3,6.

What are the pressures without the brakes applied?  Should look something like this:

pharme

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »
Hey thanks Jughead,

Good to hear that the crackle is not sth to worry about.
Yes, it was done according to the order you've described. I mentioned 1231 like i was looking at the photo documentation with arrows. My pressure ranges btw 18 - 19+bar. Cant seemed to attach picture here

pharme

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
An image from 911.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:36:27 AM »
It is strange that the pressures are correct, and yet it is giving you an error.

Does the brake light function correctly?  Remove the globe and inspect it or better still, test it and make sure BOTH filaments are working.  Do NOT just look at it through the lens to see whether the bake light comes on.

The fact that the pump runs all the time seems to point to another fault somewhere, most likely with the rear master cylinder that is getting stuck.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
An image from 911.

Check your front brake light switch!  It appears to be faulty.  Also check that the handguard is not touching the end of the brake lever.

pharme

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
Yes, at the time when the image was taken, my front brake lever was not able to return fully without me giving a nudge. Brake light therefore was activated. I have replaced it since and now it's working fine.
As for the whining sound, i figured it may not be coming from the ABS pump after all but a sticky fuel pump relay. I will do a check soon. About the rear brake if it's running on residual braking, is there any way to determine for sure, other than 'feeling' it?

As for the rear brake light, anything i should be looking for when the globe (i assume its the big chunky cover) is removed. Meanwhile, i am monitoring further with gs911 before my ride on the status.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »
Yes, at the time when the image was taken, my front brake lever was not able to return fully without me giving a nudge. Brake light therefore was activated. I have replaced it since and now it's working fine.
As for the whining sound, i figured it may not be coming from the ABS pump after all but a sticky fuel pump relay. I will do a check soon. About the rear brake if it's running on residual braking, is there any way to determine for sure, other than 'feeling' it?

As for the rear brake light, anything i should be looking for when the globe (i assume its the big chunky cover) is removed. Meanwhile, i am monitoring further with gs911 before my ride on the status.

After fixing the front brake lever, do you still have the error?

pharme

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »
Check your front brake light switch!  It appears to be faulty.  Also check that the handguard is not touching the end of the brake lever.

Now that you've pointed me to this. I have just observed that when i bled test with 911 on either rear or front brake, then the dashboard ABS blinking comes on and 911 would also indicate that the Active Brake Front as 'Not Running'. At times both Active Brake Front and Rear showed as 'Not Running'. Before bleeding and without errors they show as 'Running'.  Pressure sensors are within specs 17 - 19 bar. Can you tell me what does the Active Brake Front/Rear refers to? the microswitch on the lever and pedal that turns on the rear brake light? I had my front lever assembly with master cylinder replaced just days back, it seemed to operate well.
Also i just opened up the rear light box (globe) and checked both filaments, they are straight and connected. Should i get another bulb just to eliminate possibility?

Yes, they persist.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:14:58 AM »

Now that you've pointed me to this. I have just observed that when i bled test with 911 on either rear or front brake, then the dashboard ABS blinking comes on and 911 would also indicate that the Active Brake Front as 'Not Running'. At times both Active Brake Front and Rear showed as 'Not Running'. Before bleeding and without errors they show as 'Running'.  Pressure sensors are within specs 17 - 19 bar. Can you tell me what does the Active Brake Front/Rear refers to? the microswitch on the lever and pedal that turns on the rear brake light?

The Active Brake appears to point to the fact that the ABS Functionality is active and working.  I speak under correction and will check as soon as I can get my hands on an 1150.

I had my front lever assembly with master cylinder replaced just days back, it seemed to operate well.
Also i just opened up the rear light box (globe) and checked both filaments, they are straight and connected. Should i get another bulb just to eliminate possibility?

Just make sure that the one filament works as a tail light and the other one comes on when you apply the brakes.  As long as both filaments are working, all is good with the globe.

Yes, they persist.