Author Topic: R1200GS cannot perform TPS recalibration  (Read 8254 times)

mart360

R1200GS cannot perform TPS recalibration
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:57:49 PM »
Hi, 
First post,  and its a interesting one.

Ive had rough running, poor starting, surging, misfires etc for some time.

potential component diagnosis is long and distinguished ;) 

Coils  1 or all 4 (who knows)  Idle actuators  1 or 2,  injectors  again 1 or 2 &  TPS

Coils dont smell burnt, plugs look ok,

I whipped off the TPS and cleaned it, and as a quick 1st try swapped it with a supposed good one.

Ive done the ignition on turn handgrip and release routine, but cannot see  in any  of the GS911 menu's how to recalibrate or check the TPS

the only way i can see how to do it is with a BMSE function - my 2006 gs only has BMSK functions

I started it up and it idles high, but seems to have dropped to normal ish idle speeds on a restart.

i'm going to take it out to learn the gear positions and see what happens

any ideas?

Mart 

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: R1200GS cannot perform TPS recalibration
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
Hi Mart, and welcome.

I am assuming you are working with a 2006 R1200GS.

With these bikes it's important to start with the basics.

Firstly, rocker shaft end float set to the minimum. Then valve clearances set accurately with the motor cold.

Fit new spark plugs, all 4 of them.

Ensure free play (2mm) on both throttle body cables. Clean idle actuators.  Reset adaptations and recalibrate idle actuators. 

There is no adjustment or calibration required for the TPS.  It automatically zeros every time you cycle the ignition. ( Do not ever open the throttle while starting the bike)

To test the stick coils, unplug the upper ones and start the bike.  Both cylinders should be firing. Easy check is to feel the temp of the headers or check the temp of the cylinders in Realtime Values.  If there is a large difference in temp, one of the coils could be failing.

If temps are good, unplug lower stick coils and reconnect upper ones.  Start the motor again and check temps.  Motor should be running on both cylinders.

Reconnect lower stick coils.

When temp is up, synchronise throttle bodies using the service function utility to lock the idle actuators. (You will need a vacuum gauge connected the check the settings)

Make sure throttle bodies are synchronised both at idle and at around 4000 rpm.  Adjust if necessary.

Once throttle bodies are synchronised, reset adaptations and cycle ignition.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:22:27 PM by Jughead »

Tuffgong23

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 03:11:45 AM »
2006 R12RT with 107K: Is there a Calibration or adjustment if the TPS has been replaced(with a Used one in this case) or is their simply no adjustment, original or replacement. Both my Haynes and the Local Tech say if TPS is replaced,  TPS needs to be "set" by Dealer Computer. Is this correct and can the GS911 perform this action?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:30:03 AM by Tuffgong23 »

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:00:08 AM »
2006 R12RT with 107K: Is there a Calibration or adjustment if the TPS has been replaced(with a Used one in this case) or is their simply no adjustment, original or replacement. Both my Haynes and the Local Tech say if TPS is replaced,  TPS needs to be "set" by Dealer Computer. Is this correct and can the GS911 perform this action?

No, although the Haynes manual does state that it needs to be set, there is no calibration or adjustment on the 1200 TPS and nothing that can be set.  The TPS automatically zeros when the ignition is turned on.  It is therefore important not to open the throttle when turning the ignition on or starting the bike as it would take this open position as its zero.

Adjustment is only necessary on the older 1100 and 1150.

It would however be beneficial to reset the adaptations after replacing the sensor.  That is possibly what the Haynes manual is referring to.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:03:57 AM by Jughead »

Tuffgong23

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply. Are setting the "Adaptations" a function of the GS 911 or Dealer only? I do not currently own a GS 911 and am largely ignorant of exactly what can and can not be done with one. . I am convinced I want one and I am pretty well set  to order one, but in the meantime will load up and head to the Dealer for this if that is necessary.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:59:25 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply. Are setting the "Adaptations" a function of the GS 911 or Dealer only? I do not currently own a GS 911 and am largely ignorant of exactly what can and can not be done with one. . I am convinced I want one and I am pretty well set  to order one, but in the meantime will load up and head to the Dealer for this if that is necessary.

One of the functions of the GS911.  No need to visit the dealer.

Tuffgong23

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
Excellent. Thank you again for your help.