Author Topic: R1200 GSA TPS  (Read 4865 times)

Markytp

R1200 GSA TPS
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:35:11 AM »
Hi Everyone,

First post so Hullo from Leeds  :)

I have just bought a 911-wifi and before I go tinkering with anything, I'm spending some time here reading.

I do though have a bike specific question if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 2013 R1200 GSA (air cooled not LC) and have been having a few problems. After a lot of reading on the t'interweb it looks like my Throttle Position Sensor is on its way out.

I'm quietly confident that i have identified that as the faulty bit and now have two options:

1. Take it off, strip it down and clean it as per a few websites Ive seen it described on or

2. Go give my main stealer £150 for a new one.

As I'm quite happy to play (on the understanding I'll more than likely break it anyways and will end up in the main stealers credit card in hand) my first idea is strip it down and clean it then put it back on.

Now here comes the doofus newbie question.........

Once I have put it back on the bikem will I need to do anything else? Will the bike automatically detect I have removed and put back on the TPS and re-calibrate as needed? Will I need to use the 911 to put in some figures or values?

Will the fairies at the bottom of the garden go into the garage whilst everyone is asleep, wave their magic wands and do their black magic thing and it will start perfectly the next morning when I go in?

I truly am the annoying new kid on the block with far too many questions for my own good but this one needs asking / answering first. Need my bike on the road working.

Please feel to verbally lambast the new guy, take the mickey as required, throw things as needed ....... I'll take it all on the chin, I'm here to learn and I won't be the new guy forever  :)

Oh and did I mention "easy to understand instructions"? That would be REALLY helpful as my first language is Stoopid. My English though is passable too  :D ;D

Cheers,

Mark

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: R1200 GSA TPS
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
Hi Mark

Firstly, what is the bike doing/not doing that makes you suspect something is wrong?  You say you have a few problems but don't elaborate.  It makes giving you any assistance and pinpointing the cause of your problems very difficult.

As for the TPS.  Remove it, "clean" it, put it back and fire the bike up.  No need for anything else.  The unit automatically "calibrates" itself when you turn the ignition on.  No fairies necessary!

Markytp

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Hi Jughead,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm confident that I've identified the problem as being the TPS so was after advice more about what happens AFTER I've taken it off and cleaned it.

Symptoms are:

1. When starting the bike instead of it revving smoothly and sitting at about 1000 rpm, it's up and down between 1000rpm and 2000rpm, the only way I can describe it is it's whirring and struggling and running lumpy.

2. When riding, all gears feel sluggish and straining. I have to keep the revs higher than normal just to keep going.

3. If for any reason I pull the clutch in and don't twist the throttle, the revs drop and then the bike can stall. Only way to keep it going is to maintain high revs.

These are intermittent faults.

Thought was bad fuel - changed garages - No change

Thought it was the battery - checked it and it's fine.

Thought is was the cold weather - does it when temps are above freezing.

So in a nutshell it does this which has jiggered throttle position sensor written all over it:

Found this elsewhere:

Where the TPS malfunctions (particularly due to water ingress), symptoms may include:

Erratic throttle response (the engine may 'snatch' or 'jerk' at low revs).
 Misfires at low engine speeds and under acceleration.
 The engine dies at idle, and can only be kept idling by keeping the throttle above idle position.
 Grey exhaust smoke when starting from cold.
 Higher-than-normal fuel consumption which seems to start quite suddenly

Next step is remove it, strip it, clean it, refit it and see what happens.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:48:56 PM by Markytp »

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »
Ok, cool.

Trick would be to fit one from a known well running bike to test.  (Just borrow one from your mate's bike while he is not looking! [emoji12]

If that is the problem, effects should be immediate.