Author Topic: ERROR data  (Read 12780 times)

mike d

Re: ERROR data
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
If a user had a shop with no internet ( as one poster claimed) then he would need usb, and only the PC software with less then full function would be available.

No, with the USB and PC software you have all the functionality available to you. I suggest if you are not at ease with computers setting Wifi etc, then this configuration is the easiest to set up and use. Of course it does mean you nee to have the computer near to the bike as you need to connect the computer to the GS-911 via the USB cable.

Mike

GS Jim

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response Jughead, again if I am off track please correct.

Wifi Utility (1702.1)
Must have active internet connection. (Correct, but only to access cloud services.)
PC Software (1707.2)
Wifi to PC (tools/setup switching) for diagnostics, need active internet connection. (at least I can't make it work without) (Need active wifi but internet connectivity not required as all software required is built into the application)

Ok I figured out you have to be in D2D mode and select the GS911 in network settings.
And Yea no cloud services in the utility (i.e. abs service functions)

If a user had a shop with no internet ( as one poster claimed) then he would need usb, and only the PC software with less then full function would be available.  (As long as there is an active wifi network, the PC app can be used and will provide 99% (?) functionality)

In the PC app I can't seem to find anything that doesn't function but then again I didn't go through "everything" and test it all.

This certainly helps as when I tour I carry a full win 10 mini laptop with me and will have better service capabilities then with just a smartphone app when I have no internet access in foreign countries while on the road.

GS Jim

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »
I suggest if you are not at ease with computers setting Wifi etc, then this configuration is the easiest to set up and use.

Yes but if there are other ways then I would like to learn them all to give me the most flexibility. I did not grow up with computers but with dial phones and party lines so everything is a learning curve when it comes to these things.

Of course it does mean you nee to have the computer near to the bike as you need to connect the computer to the GS-911 via the USB cable.

A 10 m usb extension solved that.

Thanks for all your replies Mike.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 01:32:10 AM »
You can use the PC App with the GS911 WiFi connected to your home WiFi network, for full functionality without using the internet cloud service, you configure the PC App with the IP No of the GS911 and it is actually quicker in operation compared to using the USB connection.

GS Jim

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 02:40:35 AM »
Yea that's what I did, went back and forth several times between Internet and wifi connection to get it burned into my head.
I fancy myself quite the whiz now haha.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 07:32:27 AM »
You can use the PC App with the GS911 WiFi connected to your home WiFi network, for full functionality without using the internet cloud service, you configure the PC App with the IP No of the GS911 and it is actually quicker in operation compared to using the USB connection.

Yes, if you want to connect directly to the GS911 from the laptop, you need to be in D2D mode.

You can however, as WayneC says, connect via your home WiFi network.  You can here give the GS911 a fixed IP Address and reserve that address for the GS911 on the network.  Then just configure the software with the GS911 IP address and it will connect immediately.