Author Topic: Error: Invalid target  (Read 8821 times)

Buzz

Error: Invalid target
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:23:58 PM »
Hello - I'm new here. Just bought a GS-911 wifi and have connected to my F650GS twinspark.

I've cleared some fault codes on the BMS-C II which I created (when I turned the ignition on with sensors disconnected).
I've found a fault on the fuel pump - says earth fault - which I'll investigate this weekend.

But my main problem at the moment is I can't connect to the ABS-N module.

I have seen it once - saw all the realtime values on my mobile phone but have been unable to connect to it on either phone or windows PC (USB) since.

It does show up when I do an autoscan from the home screen - ABS-N with all the details and No Fault Codes.

If I go into the bike (F650GS twinspark) and then go into the ABS module and select any option (ECU, check fault codes etc) I just get an error saying:
Failed to communicate with controller; Invalid Target.

I know it's working - no ABS light, I can make ABS work on both front and rear when riding.

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas what I should check?

Thanks
Buzz.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Error: Invalid target
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:45:35 AM »
Which PC software version have you installed and have you ensured the GS911 WiFi is updated to the latest firmware ?

Beyond that I would suggest you lodge a support ticket with Hexcode, the ABS is on the same OBD BUS as the BMSC so there should not be a problem in communicating with it. Support Info page is https://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1

Buzz

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
I've installed the latest Windows PC software from the hex site (1707.2) onto an old Windows laptop. I've updated the GS911 device - well it was already up to date.

I'll lodge a ticket with Hexcode as you suggest.

If I understand correctly the ABS diagnostic wire connects to the BMS-C diagnostic wire which inputs to the diagnostic socket.
I'll have a go at checking the resistance on the wire this weekend in case there is a cable fault.

Thanks for your help (again).

Buzz.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 02:56:28 AM »
OK, understood re PC software & firmware, you did all the right things there, if the ABS appears in the autoscan then the wiring should be OK and it suggests the possibility of a problem in the new versions so let Hexcode know. I dont have ABS so cant cross check that here

Buzz

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
Ok makes sense - homepage autoscan could read the ABS module so diagnostic wiring must be ok.

I've sent everything including multiple screenshots, autoscan dump etc to hex code. Fingers crossed.

Thanks
Buzz.

Buzz

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
I've had another go and made some progress.

I can't access any ABS module functions using the PC and USB cable but I can now do everything using my iPhone6.

Using the PC/USB I only see ECU info, Read Fault Codes and Clear Fault Codes ..... but none of them work.

If I setup an iPhone hotspot and configure the GS911 to connect to it in infrastructure mode, also keeping my 3G mobile on I can open up the GS911 in a browser window (once you've figured out the network address the phone gave the GS911 - I used free app iNet Network Scanner and searched in the range 172.20.10.1 - 172.20.10.254).

Then you get the normal browser window but all the ABS module functions show up (including realtime values and cloud service functions) and they work.

So it seems my problem is with the PC program.  It doesn't work on either my Vista laptop or a borrowed Windows 10 laptop.

Buzz
(PS - managed to clear the fuel pump fault code. The previous owner had fitted an alarm which had failed and been shorted leaving the fuel pump running from the ignition signal, not the BMSC. A few hours work to remove the alarm loom and make good the original and it's all working fine).

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »
OK, understood, good to hear you sorted the fuel pump problem, poor pump will have over worked since you bought the bike rather than being pulsed by the BMSC which must have been seeing no current through the fuel pump output

it seems to me you from what you have stated that you are looking at the web interface rather than firing up the PC App, configuring the PC App to use the USB cable and so you are only seeing the basics in the web interface, correct me if I am wrong

What is the network you have at home ?, I assume a router with WiFi ? or are you only using the PC as stand alone without a network ?

Buzz

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
I initially tried using the PC App and USB. It works for all functions on the engine (including service stuff) but none on the ABS.
I've done that with wifi connections as well - e.g. USB plus laptop and GS911 on local wifi network.
I also tried switching the connection to wifi rather than USB but still the same.

I tried the iPhone app in D2D mode but only managed to connect to the ABS module 1 time in the first day.

The next day I tried putting the iPhone into hotspot mode and connecting the GS911 wifi to it and using a web browser and that has worked fine.
Sometimes it says it can't find the ABS controller but a couple of goes and it does, and all functions using web browser and cloud work.

So I went back to the USB and GS911 PC App on two different laptops (Vista and Windows10) and still no success with the ABS module.

D2D mode generally works now on the iPhone although the ABS module can take a few attempts before it connects, e.g. trying engine first then trying ABS.

So fault in summary is:
I cannot access the ABS module (other than it being picked up in a scan from the home screen) when using the Windows App on any laptop with a USB or wifi infrastructure connection.
The engine controller and all functions (e.g. service functions, scans etc) all work fine.

Cheers
Buzz.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »
Sorry but you did not really answer my questions re network configuration plus there is a little mis understanding there, where you indicate "USB plus laptop and GS911 on local wifi network",  when working with the GS911 over USB the WiFi network is irrelevant. Where you configure the PC App to connect to the GS911 via TCP/IP you can use the WiFi network and it is fast in operation but it is best to allocate an IP No for the GS911 on your WiFi router so it always uses the same No

Be aware it is possible for an ABS unit that is not fully initialising to show the symptoms you are seeing but without knowing fully the network config etc I am being the normal pedantic pain you are no doubt used to seeing

Buzz

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
Network is a router with wifi  access point.
I'm not sure what network details you are after?

In the PC App I am trying to use Tools Setup USB but  then don't see the ABS module but do see the engine module ok.
I have also tried Tools Setup Wifi and again don't see the ABS module but do see the engine module.
(I do see the module in a homepage scan, but can't access any ABS module functions)

I have tried connecting using a web-browser on the laptop and that works the same as it does on my iPhone - i.e. can see ABS module.

The ABS module isn't as reliable as the engine module but using web browsers I can usually manage to get a connection.
Using the PC App I have never got a connection and the menu is missing several functions, such as service, realtime values.

ABS unit not fully initialising sounds ... err ... interesting. What is the solution for that? Replacement?

Thanks for your replies/help.
Buzz
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:43:33 PM by Buzz »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 03:46:25 AM »
OK, understood re network

In terms of understanding the GS911 WiFi, think of it as 2 tools in one, when connecting via USB and using the PC App it is just like any non WiFi GS911, the intelligence is in the PC App with the GS911 acting as a "dumb" interface. When accessing it via a web browser the GS911 is a different tool using the intelligence in the GS911 WiFi firmware bolstered by the cloud services for maintenance functions

Re the ABS not initialising fully, I am aware of circumstances where the ABS may not be seen by the BMW Dealer Diags system but can be seen by the GS911, in one instance I am aware of it was a faulty wheel sensor stopping the ABS initialisation and another was a wiring fault to the dash lamp, both problems really should not have caused the problem but for some reason did so

It is best to see what Hexcode say in answer to the support ticket when they are in the office later today

Buzz

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
Hex code got back this morning with good news - there is a known bug between the PC App and f650GS TS ABS module which they plan to fix on the next update.
Thanks for your help - you were right in your second post.

Buzz.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
Good to hear, I just wanted to make sure we were not wasting their time, I can be a worry at times  ;D