Author Topic: KTM someday ?  (Read 8383 times)

pdofak

KTM someday ?
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »
HI,
I'm learning that there is surprisingly little knowledge of the KTM CAN bus system in the US dealer network. Little to no info regarding how it works, solving weird problems etc.
Plus there is no way for users to clear service interval codes or see why a service light has come on, etc.
There is a market for KTM users who would love to have a "KTM911" type device. Is there any movement toward such a product? I would love to help development.
Thanks,
Patrick

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: KTM someday ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:52:35 AM »
There would be considerable software development time in supporting the KTM's so I am not sure Hexcode would go down that path.

You should be able to use one of the generic OBD readers to look at fault codes but service indicator would likely be proprietary

As a matter of interest why do you refer to CAN BUS problems in particular ?

pdofak

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:45:35 AM »
The Super Adventure has many ECUs that evidently get argumentative. The end result is you get a service light and find nothing but a bunch of spurious random errors that don't really indicate a source problem. Mine just did. Dealer cleared the codes, service light went off, I rode off. There was never any hint of malfunction when riding it. No one seems to know why, including the KTM factory tech trainers. Sad.
I wouldn't really care if the system has a bad day and throws a bogus code as long as I can identify and clear it. But I do care that there is no way to field service those codes. I'm not inclined to go to the dealer just to find out it had a tantrum. Nor will it do to have a service light come on in a trip. I have other better things to do.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »
OK, understood, your explanation of the Service Lamp is a little different to what I was thinking. I was more thinking of a Service Interval Indicator than a problem indicator. If you only need to read codes and then clear them to turn off the dash indicator then you may have some success with a low cost generic OBD device, a little experimentation would be needed

Be aware BMW is not always forthcoming with fault codes and their descriptions, particularly re CAN errors which in any system can be simply time out errors on one ECU requesting info from another. I have seen a few on the BMW developed Husky TR650's. One cause I do know of is noise getting onto the CAN BUS through poor contact in connectors and another is poor earthing or harness chafing

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:42:55 PM »
TuneECU

pdofak

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 03:31:03 AM »
Yup, tried TuneECU on the off chance it might work.
But alas it doesn't talk to a Super Adventure at all.
Thanks for the suggestion though.