Author Topic: 2011 R1200RT Radio REG Alternate Frequency  (Read 6599 times)

JCDAS

2011 R1200RT Radio REG Alternate Frequency
« on: July 31, 2017, 03:29:24 AM »
Hi folks.
I have a Canadian model 2011 R1200RT with the full radio package.

Recently, the Canadian Broadcast Corporation (CBC) has turned on the Alternate Frequency, or Regional Station function which is embedded in the RDS Radio Data System.  This allows a radio tuned to a frequency in my area (Sarnia, ON) and when I ride through Ontario to Quebec, and the radio will automatically adjust to the strongest transmitters as you travel through the region.  It works really nice on my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. FM reception is much clearer than my Sirius XM radio as far as I'm concerned.

I tried to turn on this function on my RT, but the option is not available.  The manual says it's not available in all regions.

Has anyone else tried this?  Is there a way to update the internal radio settings via the GS911 or some other way to turn this REG functionality on?  I'd be surprised if BMW has totally different radios for every country it sells bikes in.

Anyone in the US, Europe, Africa, Asia use this functionality?

John.

JCDAS

Re: 2011 R1200RT Radio REG Alternate Frequency
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
It seems that this is something new.

Can anyone check against another RT with radio and check if their radio has the REG functionality?
Press SET repeatedly and see what you get.  It will go through RDS --> TP (Traffic Program) --> REG (Regional or Alternate Frequency) --> ESN (To view your Sirius serial Number if equipped).

With the GS911, it says reports the radio as:
Part No: 7713627
Hardware Index: 1
Coding Index: 2
HWOE No: 61715196
Manufacturer: Preh
MCV: 0.6.2
FSV: 2.1.0
OSV: 3.3.0

I wonder if the GS911 can update a Coding Index or something else.

Otherwise, maybe the radio needs a firmware update to make it work.

Thanks for your interest and help.

John