Author Topic: K1200GT: front ESA damping working?  (Read 6753 times)

Elwin

K1200GT: front ESA damping working?
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:16:16 PM »
Thanks to my GS-911 I found out that my front ESA had an open circuit.

I was able to trace it to one of the white wires that leads to the shock.

Now that I've fixed the broken wire, the fault code is gone. I don't know how to tell if the damping adjustment is working, though.

When cycling through the modes (comfort, normal, sport) I can hear the rear shock make a whirring noise. The front shock, on the other hand, doesn't make any noise at all.

Does this mean it's broken? Should there be a noise? What's the best way to test it?

Thanks.

GS Jim

Re: K1200GT: front ESA damping working?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 02:16:33 AM »
Not sure what year your bike is Elwin (2007?) but you have two adjustments, rear preload (solo, solo with luggage and two up) this will be the noise you hear when the spring is being compressed, you can only do this while not moving ( try watching the spring while it does it).the other is damping which can be done while moving. If you aren't getting any faults I would say you would be good to go.

Elwin

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »
Hi Jim,

It's a 2008. The rear pre-load adjustment works fine and indeed makes quite an audible noise.

When I cycle through the damping modes though, I can hear a soft whirring noise coming from the black cylinder at the rear shock (attachment).

The front shock doesn't have any cylinders attached to it though, and also doesn't make any noises.

I've also tried touching the shock while cycling through the modes but there appears to be no mechanical movement inside. No fault codes though.

Any ideas on how to test it? Thanks.

GS Jim

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
You can try setting it at comfort and push up and down while astride the bike(probably with front brake on) and then try again at sport and see if you can feel a difference. The shocks are probably not serviceable so again if you are not getting a fault you should be ok.