Author Topic: Another ABS problem  (Read 28119 times)

Alexm1

Re: Another ABS problem
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »
I'm certain I'm not following procedure Alex, I've no motor to run up the rear circuit, but the front is running and bleeding fine. I've a known good ABS unit coming tonight to try, so I'll update with the results of that test.
The correct procedure is done with the battery removed and thus no motors running. You are wasting your time and money replacing an abs unit before you bleed it correctly. It is of course your time and money to waste as you want.
Alex

ManxGS

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »
This guy seems to say very different about the battery. I thought these boards were supposed to help. I'm proper confused now.

http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick/Brake%20bleeding%20(All%20BMW%20EVO%20systems,%20'04-'07).pdf
Life is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after

mike d

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:11 AM »
The correct procedure is done with the battery removed and thus no motors running.

Sorry Alexm1 never heard of that method before for the servo ABS system.

ManxGS the following shows the GS-911 bleed function is available on the PC/laptop version, but not on the wifi Web version

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/iabs-can

Mike 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:12:50 AM by mike d »

Alexm1

Another ABS problem
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 04:07:19 AM »
I'm certain I'm not following procedure Alex, I've no motor to run up the rear circuit, but the front is running and bleeding fine. I've a known good ABS unit coming tonight to try, so I'll update with the results of that test.
The correct procedure is done with the battery removed and thus no motors running. You are wasting your time and money replacing an abs unit before you bleed it correctly. It is of course your time and money to waste as you want.
ManxGS, sorry, I did not mean to confuse you. It is me that is confused! I have a k1200 with iABS and I have been giving you advice about a completely different brake system. I jumped in without reading the question, again sorry.

Found this procedure, I hope it is the correct one for your bike

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:54:21 AM by Alexm1 »
Alex

ManxGS

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
Good morning. Update so far. Another known good and fault free unit removed from a GS and fitted.  Tried to bleed up and the same 1 motor startup is heard and no rear servo motor runs. The front one will run for about 5 or 6 lever pulls then stops. I read the codes and it's 24971, and description is now that the front circuit pressure is too high. Live data shows circuit pressures bouncing around the 50bar range again. What could possibly be on the bike that can affect the ABS units so much? Do they get controlled by the bikes ECU and not just their own one?

ManxGS

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »
More tests done. Now it's been bled the best we can. Two iABS units with about 50000 miles use difference with now identical faults. No rear motor and internal pressures almost equal to each other. Unit put back on it's own bike, codes cleared and it works perfect.   What could possibly be wrong with my bike please????

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 01:54:38 PM »
More tests done. Now it's been bled the best we can. Two iABS units with about 50000 miles use difference with now identical faults. No rear motor and internal pressures almost equal to each other. Unit put back on it's own bike, codes cleared and it works perfect.   What could possibly be wrong with my bike please????

Have you checked things like the rear brake switch and the contacts on the brake light (globe)?

Does the brake light work properly?  Some of the older bikes (1100/1150) used the tail lamp in the event of the brake lamp failing.  That is why I ask the question.  Do not just check that the brake globe lights up.  Physically remove the globe and check the contacts on the globe as well as in the fitting.

On certain of the older models, depressing the rear brake pedal whilst turning on the ignition, disabled the ABS.  So if the rear brake switch is not adjusted correctly, the system will think the brake is being depressed during the ignition on cycle.

The switch needs to be adjusted in such a way that the brake light comes on almost simultaneously to the pressure being applied to the system, if not fractionally before.  If pressure is applied to the ABS system and the brake light has not yet come on, it will generate errors.

Lastly, does the rear master cylinder work and return smoothly?  The same master cylinder is used on the early 650 ('00 - '07) and these often corrode inside, causing them to bind.  In the event of this happening, the brake light will go out (since it is operated purely by the foot pedal position) but since the master cylinder is slow in returning, the pressure is still maintained in the ABS unit, and thus registers an error.

ManxGS

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 12:25:31 AM »
Cheers Jughead. All those things tested. All perfect. Fault is still that the rear motor wont engage. Put it all back together and went for a ride to see how it goes. Brakes well on the front and ok on the rear. No ABS though. Bizarre codes when I got back though. Still the pressure too high in the rear, but now front headlight unit faults. low beam high beam and park, yet no disenable or noticeable lighting faults.  I'm still definitely thinking it's electronic/ECU failure.

schuppi

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
Hello
You wrote: Another known good and fault free unit removed from a GS and fitted.
And then the same fault readings?  Strange things.
Did you ever opened the cable harness? Maybe there is a cryptic short cut which lets the motor run?
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

ManxGS

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 11:01:13 PM »
Decided to give up, put it all back together, bleed it as best I could and run it for a little while. Two days in and everything started working fine. two day later and it's gone back to the same fault. Properly stressed with it.

ManxGS

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
OK. After much deliberation, I've decided that I'm going to remove the pump unit and run the bike with non assist brakes. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if there is a kit available somewhere? If not, getting the lines made should be straight forward, but its the warnings on the dash that will drive me mad.

ManxGS

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »
OK. Further update is the ABS is now bypassed. Wish I'd done this sooner. The brakes are so much more user friendly. No sudden grab or headlights dimming on night runs. Rang the lads at MotorWorks and they sent me a kit to bypass the pump unit. The unit has to have a modification inside to remove the power to the two pump motors but the ECU within it must remain as it controls the speedo. Then I removed the dash unit, broke it down and blanked out the red LEDs indicating the Brake failure warning and the red triangle, but the amber LEDs remain to light up the warning triangle when the fuel level gets to reserve.   I'm a happy biker again.

mopedi

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
Do you have your removed modulator for sale?

ManxGS

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Do you have your removed modulator for sale?
Do you mean the ABS unit complete?

mopedi

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
I presume you are using electronics to get tacho working or you upadted computers with non-abs one with some rewiring.
Do you have anything left from complete units?