Author Topic: Please help with fault codes.  (Read 10761 times)

Keymandave

Please help with fault codes.
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
Hi,
My bike is a 2005 R1200GS.

I have been having problems with the brake failure light flashing intermittently.
This leaves me with very little brakes when it happens.

I have just bought a gs911 and today I read the codes. I must also say that yeserday I found metal filings on the rear abs sensor.

I got
24971 pressure in front wheel circuit to high - not present at the moment.

24951 abs motor rear defective - not present now.

Could these be caused by the rear abs sensor being dirty or not.

Thanks.

bwallis42

Re: Please help with fault codes.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:14:47 AM »
If the filings are very fine then I think that is normal, I always find a smear of these on the sensor when I change the oil in my rear drive (every 40k kms or so). Mine is also a 2005 model.

Sounds like an intermittent fault in the ABS unit which is not good. Have you ever changed the brake fluid in the 4 different circuits? It is a good idea to do this every couple of years as the fluid absorbs water. What condition is the fluid at the moment? Clear and clean? (hard to see with out changing it).

Keymandave

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I have only owned the bike 4 months. It says on the service sheet before I bought it that the brake fluid had been changed but I guess that doesn't mean a lot.

I have had a look and it looks nice & clean in the reservoirs, again I guess that doesn't mean a lot.

Any other suggestions ?

mike d

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »
If you bought it from a dealer, and it is still in the warranty period, then take it back.

If bought privately, then either yourself or someone capable should perform a full brake flush, and see if that helps. You could even got a price for just a full fluid change from a main dealer.

Mike   

Keymandave

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:06:29 PM »
Thank you, I bought it from a dealer but only 3 months warranty i'm afraid. I think I will give the system a flsh out.
To be honest I like doingthe work myself as I know it has been done correct then.

bwallis42

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
If you haven't done it before this, http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf, is a pretty good guide or the DVD from Jim Bade, http://jvbproductions.com/, also covers it well. Also much discussed on Advrider such as http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bleeding-brakes-on-1200gs.160863/

Not sure this will help with your problem but it is where I would start.

Keymandave

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
Wow thank you very much, that i very helpful.