Author Topic: Radio Diagnostics?  (Read 5297 times)

robertg

Radio Diagnostics?
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:55:54 AM »
Is it possible to do radio diagnostics with a GS911, the radio controls aren't working on my 2011 R1200RT. When I click on the radio menu it just gives me some sort of error message. I think it says can't communicate with module or something like that. The radio makes sound, but the station doesn't show on the cluster and none of the buttons work.

The bike was salvage and the multi controller was was caked with mud. It worked for a while, but now it quit. I would like to know if there is a way to test the radio before I buy a new multi controller.

Inspector Gadget

Re: Radio Diagnostics?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »
AFAIK it is indeed not possible to to diagnose radio-problems with the GS911.

At best you may see & test a few things (read: buttons) with the Output-test section of GS911.

robertg

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 12:48:25 AM »
Everything works fine now. My battery was going dead and all kinds of electrical problems started happening after. After I charged it, it took a few days for the radio to start working again. Now the GS911 can communicate with the radio, or at least it tells me that I have a radio.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 01:00:30 AM »
Yes, with CAN-bus you better have a battery that is fresh & fruity, otherwise you will indeed run into a heap of problems, left, right and center.
I strongly recommend a good battery-charger (e.g CTek) with sufficient charging-current (2 amps and up) to keep your battery topped-up.
Or have good long ride (minimal an hour) every 2 weeks, that will charge the battery too.

When the voltage drops too much due to a flaky battery, CAN-bus will start to shut-down non-essential electronics.
Most notably, the radio and accessoires-connectors, first.
But if that fails to raise the voltage, other things may start to fail too.

Correct, the GS911 at this moment can identify the presence of the radio and read fault-codes about it supposedly.
(I never have seen fault-codes for the radio though)

Glad it was such "minor" issue and got resolved.