Author Topic: Infrastructure mode  (Read 6746 times)

atygert

Infrastructure mode
« on: November 27, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
Also posted to the Introduce yourself forum.  Wanted to get a bit more traction, so posting here, too. 
Department of Redundancy Dept.

Bike is 2015 R1200 GS
Laptop is Dell running Windoze 7
I have an active directory server (2008 R2) that includes a DHCP server on my network
My router supports 802.11 b, g and n on 2.4 and 5 GHz.  I've tried to connect using it as a DHCP server and not using it as a DHCP server, with the same results.
GS 911 firmware and application were both updated to latest and greatest before starting this experiment in terror.

I got my GS 911 at MOA in Billings last year.  Since then, I've only been able to connect to it in device to device (D2D) mode, not infrastructure mode, from my iPhone 5s or iPad god-knows-what.  If I needed to reset a service reminder, i would drag my laptop out to the garage and connect using the USB.  That works, but it's getting old.  I'm finally motivated and have enough time to try to make this work.

I started out by connecting to the access point on the GS-911.  I changed the network on my iPad to the GS 911 and was able to connect.  Next, I went to the WiFi configuration.  There, I saw the name of my WiFi network and the security protocol (WPA/WPA2).  I tried DHCP first.  I entered the router security key and hit the save button.  Then, I hit the Connect button and changed to WiFi setting on the iPad to my home network SSID.  The infrastructure light went red for a short time and then started rapidly blinking green.  That blinking never stopped.  I looked at the devices on my router and in the DNS and DHCP applications on my server and never saw the GS 911.

Next, I tried to give the GS 911 a static IP.  I entered IP, subnet mask, and gateway information, along with the WiFi security key (again).  This time, the infrastructure light went solid green, but still no connection.  I tried browsing to the IP I assigned in Chrome (same browser used to see the GS 911 in D2D,) and no luck. 

I've given up for the night after several attempts and about an hour and a half spent trying to make this work.  It shouldn't be this difficult; I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, but I don't know what.  Any ideas you can share with me are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Allan

“Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....”  HST

atygert

Re: Infrastructure mode
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »
Wanting to try some other way of doing this, I brought the GS 911 into my house from the garage.  I'm in the same room with my router.  I connected the unit to my PC via USB, scanned for networks and connected to the same network my PC is connected to.I copied the network password directly from the router admin tool, pasted it into the GS 911 wifi utility and checked show password to make sure the copy/paste operation was successful.  In the upper portion of the wifi utility, I see my s/n (GS1 002 725), the correct wifi network to connect to and the IP address keeps saying, "Connecting...".  As expected, the wifi light on the GS 911 is blinking at 5 Hz while the power is blinking at 2 Hz.  I got nowhere with this approach.

I tried to reserve an IP with the MAC address of the GS 911.  This had no better results.  The unit never connects to the router. 

I tried to put everything on the guest network, which has no password.  It connected, the unit beeped twice and I got an IP address, but pressing refresh device list did nothing (the list remained empty,) putting the IP address into a browser did not connect tot he unit and the wifi test was 100% packet loss.  The buttons on the bottom to beep the unit and connect to a browse remained grayed out. 

Is there a limitation on length or character types for the network password?  The password I'm using has 19 characters and includes uper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.  It seems strange that I can pull an IP address on the guest, but not on the regular network.

atygert

Re: Infrastructure mode
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »
It appears that I cannot use wifi security on my router if I want to connect my GS911 to it.  If I turn security off, connection is quick and easy.  If I turn it on, the device will never connect.  Has anyone else seen this?