Author Topic: Howdy from Austin!  (Read 6875 times)

atygert

Howdy from Austin!
« on: November 27, 2016, 04:53:56 AM »
Bike is 2015 R1200 GS
Laptop is Dell running Windoze 7
I have an active directory server (2008 R2) that includes a DHCP server on my network
My router supports 802.11 b, g and n on 2.4 and 5 GHz.  I've tried to connect using it as a DHCP server and not using it as a DHCP server, with the same results.

I got my GS 911 at MOA in Billings last year.  Since then, I've only been able to connect to it in device to device (D2D) mode, not infrastructure mode, from my iPhone 5s or iPad god-knows-what.  If I needed to reset a service reminder, i would drag my laptop out to the garage and connect using the USB.  That works, but it's getting old.  I'm finally motivated and have enough time to try to make this work.

I started out by connecting to the access point on the GS-911.  I changed the network on my iPad to the GS 911 and was able to connect.  Next, I went to the WiFi configuration.  There, I saw the name of my WiFi network and the security protocol (WPA/WPA2).  I tried DHCP first.  I entered the router security key and hit the save button.  Then, I hit the Connect button and changed to WiFi setting on the iPad to my home network SSID.  The infrastructure light went red for a short time and then started rapidly blinking green.  That blinking never stopped.  I looked at the devices on my router and in the DNS and DHCP applications on my server and never saw the GS 911.

Next, I tried to give the GS 911 a static IP.  I entered IP, subnet mask, and gateway information, along with the WiFi security key (again).  This time, the infrastructure light went solid green, but still no connection.  I tried browsing to the IP I assigned in Chrome (same browser used to see the GS 911 in D2D,) and no luck. 

I've given up for the night after several attempts and about an hour and a half spent trying to make this work.  It shouldn't be this difficult; I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, but I don't know what.  Any ideas you can share with me are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Allan

“Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....”  HST

atygert

Re: Howdy from Austin!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 04:55:16 AM »
Forgot to mention, I updated the firmware and the PC app today.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum, what make and model is your router ?. I am a little surprised you would not be using the DHCP server in the modem/router as that would be more normal in a home network, are you sure the router DHCP server is not active ?.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:11:42 AM by WayneC »

atygert

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:31:07 AM »
I'm certain.  I've tried with it turned on and off.  I usually have it off and let my active directory domain controller dole out the addresses for purposes of test the software our company sells and I configure.  I noticed that connecting to the guest network on the router, the GS 911 will pull an IP address, but I still can't get to the interface and pressing the button to show connected devices returns an empty list.  Moreover, when I try to do a network test after being assigned an IP address, I get 100% packet loss for each IP address I try to ping on our network.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 03:38:50 AM »
OK,
Was not sure what systems/network knowledge you had, sounds like you have more than enough  ;D
What make/model on the router ?, have seen one or two which run into initialisation problems with embedded devices

atygert

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 04:02:34 AM »
Its a Netgear Nighthawk R8500

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 04:31:32 AM »
Ok

No expense spare I see  ;D, have not encountered that model so cant comment on it specifically but since it appears the guest network seems to indicate IP No allocation perhaps you could use the WiFi utility to confirm it is allocated then you know it is simply configuration of the router or perhaps the Active Directory. I would be looking at the router logs and see what they have to say. The Active Directory system should also have some reasonably detailed logs to show the IP No allocation if it is doing the IP allocation

atygert

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:51:50 PM »
After a fare amount of testing, it appears that my GS-911 will not connect to a wifi router using WPA2-PSK security.  When I disable wifi security, connection takes 15 to 30 seconds.  If I enable wifi security, the device will never connect.  No bueno!

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 03:12:18 AM »
Which encryption type are you using AES or TKIP ? or is the router set for auto ?

atygert

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »
That appears to be the cause.  Since the router handles 802.11 N, apparently, it uses AES by default to increase wireless network speeds.  When I could not connect, the network was set to WPA2-PSK [AES].  I changed it to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] and I was able to connect with a password.  WayneC, thanks for this great catch!

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 01:46:17 AM »
Good to hear you have it sorted