Author Topic: No response from controller r1200cl 2004  (Read 32127 times)

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: No response from controller r1200cl 2004
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »
Yes BMW does deploy similar technologies on the cars and bikes, the bike division is often the beneficiary of the developments in the car division

The text from Bimmerfest though is not relevant to your problem, the GS911 is telling you it cant communicate with the ABS ECU on the OBD diagnostic line so you need to determine the reason for that. I dont have the 1200CL wiring diagrams to easily to hand but it appears the ABS is on the same OBD connection as the BMSK engine management ECU, confirm that is the case then used the DSO you purchased to look and see if the GS911 signal gets to the right pin on the ABS ECU and whether there is a response. You will only see the signal go up and down, that will tell you

I identified a local Co here yesterday who is repairing some of the bike ABS ECUs, they list R12000GS and K1300S at a minimum
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:45:25 AM by WayneC »

mayojuaf

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2016, 06:55:37 PM »
Wayne: (thanks! for hanging on on this one)

Not sure about

"it appears the ABS is on the same OBD connection as the BMSK engine management ECU"
Not sure what to look in here where all the wiring diagrams are, but here is the link to them
https://www.pdffiller.com/en/project/84700672.htm?reload=true

"see if the GS911 signal gets to teh right pin on the ABS ECU" from page 97/98 (page 92 from the PDF) it seems that is pin is 31? or 21? (is not very clear) goes to x9590 that is diagnostic?
So plug gs911, switch on and I should use meter and  connect pin 31 and grown and measure DC?

I run gs911 with engine on and reads fine all stuff. The ECU also is detected. but when switch screens to read ABS get the dreaded message.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:02:58 PM by mayojuaf »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 02:34:44 AM »
Firstly do not use the pdffiller site or any of the other similar sites. They systematically steal copyrighted material from around the web and then present it to people, in some cases charging money to view the documents. I have had to protect all the pdf's on my own 650gs web site from them, they are vermin

Secondly if you are going to work around the electrical system on the machine you need to purchase the wiring diagrams from BMW, for some models they are available and for other models you need to purchase the SLP CD which has diagrams for all models on it, the last part number I saw for the SLP CD (SLP Version 2.2) was 01 79 7 720 399, it has all models 1993 to 2008 on it.

I checked the wiring diagram for your 1200CL, the OBDII diagnostics BUS does go direct to the ABS as well as the Engine ECU (Motronic not BMSK as I posted before), so there should be a connection between the diagnostics socket pin 1 (Brown/Black wire) to pin 31 of the ABS

When you say the GS911 "reads fine all stuff", no, it is only communicating with the Motronic, there is no response from the ABS ECU which may be due to the ABS ECU being faulty or a broken wire from the diagnostics socket to the ABS

You would use ohms scale and see if there is a connection between pin 1 of the diags socket and pin 31 of the ABS socket (ie 0 ohms)

mayojuaf

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! Fortunatelly i never use the diller, my pc gives me the option of looking in brouser insted of engaging pdfiller, and i always use browser

Thanks also for looking into de wiring diagrams, i have checked pin 1 of diagnostiv to 31 and shows 0 ohms
Also checked Pin 1 and 3 with ignition on at abs conector, and show 12 v