Author Topic: Front wheel sensor  (Read 17067 times)

tomlowry

Front wheel sensor
« on: January 21, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »
Hi All, 2014 r1200gs lc k50, ABS has been faulty for quite a while, too many fault codes on bike, since 2 years. I have reset codes, and when i run engine on stand in first gear, i can see the rear wheel speed from the gs911 output live. When spinning front wheel by hand, i get no out put. Is my sensor faulty or am i not getting enough revolutions to activate? Only got 911 tonight so not sure whats what just yet.

Thanks tom

tomlowry

Re: Front wheel sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
just to add, when i run the function on the abs with the gs911, i here the pump doing its stuff.  Tom

tomlowry

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 10:23:39 PM »
I have turned the rear wheel by hand and I get a reading, so i am pretty confident I have an issue with my front wheel sensor. will strip at the weekend and check. Can anyone confirm if this will give me ABS faults?  Ta Tom

schuppi

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
Hi Tom
I think a full Auto-Scan would help to find it out.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

GS Jim

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:22:52 AM »
Hi Tom, I have a 2015 R1200 GS and just the slightest spin by hand gives me several kph of wheel speed front and back, no need to put in gear or have engine running, what is the signal strength of the sensors, and like schuppi says post a scan.

tomlowry

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
XABS
Controller:   0F8300
Serial Number:   6033900166
Manufacturer:   Continental Automotive
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD):   13/09/17
Program Count:   0
Program Count Maximum:   1000
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD):   13/09/17
Number of FW configurations:   3
HW Electronics (HWEL):   
   Firmware ID:   1299
   Firmware Version:   000.002.000
Bootloader (BTLD):   
   Firmware ID:   1298
   Firmware Version:   000.001.003
SW Memory Image (SWFL):   
   Firmware ID:   129A
   Firmware Version:   001.003.020

2 fault codes found:

480906   Wheel speed sensor, front, movement detection
The fault is not present now.
480860   Supply voltage, undervoltage
The fault is not present now.

schuppi

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 07:46:45 PM »
Hello Tom,

This fault will be detected while:
Missing signal during starting process.

If the difference between the front and rear wheel speeds is too great over a long period of time during the starting process, a signal fault is assumed  >>>> while parking on stand and running 1. gear 8)

Conditions for entry: Faulty, damaged or soiled wheel speed sensor. Damaged or soiled sensor ring.
Air gap between wheel speed sensor and sensor ring too large.

You have to :
Check for correct installation of wheel speed sensor.
Check wheel speed sensor and sensor ring for dirt contamination.
Check air gap between wheel speed sensor and sensor ring.

But I think that's not a real fault, you are only playing with your bike using GS911.........sorry

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:54:41 PM by schuppi »
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

tomlowry

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
wheel sensor seams to be ground down a little, gap from sensor to wheel thingy is about 2mm. took sensor of and held it closer to thingy, still no movement on gs911 front wheel dectection bit. Would the fact that it appears to be ground down a little make it unusable?

T

GS Jim

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:29:03 PM »
The gap should be closer to 1 mm, the sensor needs to see the slots in the ring go past the sensor, the controller takes the frequency of the passing slots and bars and uses that to calculate wheel speed. Elevate the front wheel (not a wheelie) and spin the wheel by hand while you are in real time values on the GS911, you should get a reading on the sensor while spinning wheel.

tomlowry

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
reading on rear wheel no reading on front. I have ordered a good as new one on ebay. Will post results when i get it on. Thanks All

GS Jim

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
check the wiring from sensor to the plug for damage and make sure it is plugged in properly, check ring for integrity (falling off), as this is a 2014 as long as it is not mechanical damage (cut cable, smashed sensor) then it should be still under the 3 year warranty.   

tomlowry

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »
i serviced bike myself, so no warranty unfortunately.

GS Jim

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »
Even if you service your own bike as long as lack of, or owner caused or collision is not the reason for failure then it is still covered, at least that is the law in Canada.

tomlowry

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »
i,m in spain, My spanish is only good for pubs and restaurants. So its pretty difficult to reason with dealer. Dealer did not want to know last time when the rear shock motor packed up. Had to get one on Ebay. Its an absolute disgrace to be frank, I change my oil and filter every 5k, thus invalidating my warranty. i have a cracked screen, pretty common apparently on early bikes, loose bolt around the starter motor, thus weeping oil, need to take starter motor out to get access, I had a broken rear shock esa motor and now a faulty ABS. Too be honest, I would rather use ebay than those clowns at my local BMW shop. Same guy owns both shops that are near to me.

omid455

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 02:02:54 PM »
I was searching google for the gap between speed sensor and the ring and I reached to this page, I got my answer but now I have an off topic question. Please recommend an ebay seller for R1200GS parts. Someone with good and inexpensive parts. more than one seller even better. Thanks.