Author Topic: Using IPad to Log File  (Read 9662 times)

BT

Using IPad to Log File
« on: September 04, 2016, 06:59:10 PM »
 I want to record a Log File for a 2015 BMW R1200RT while everything is working normally, using a GS911 WiFi model. I want to then be able to refer back to that Log File when everything isn't working normally.  Problem is I do not own a PC nor am I willing to buy one just for this purpose. Can I use an iPad to log this file? If not, is there a workaround solution? I've heard of possibly Logging the file to the Cloud and then accessing it from there. Does mean I have to pay for Cloud storage fees as well?
Then what if the Cloud loses my file?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might have!

BT

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Using IPad to Log File
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »
Save the file to your iPad and then upload it to the cloud services provider of your choice, Google, Apple or whoever and use their spreadsheet app to view it

BT

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:09:37 AM »
Thank you for the reply. Could I save the file to the
iPad and use Apple's spreadsheet Numbers to open,
view and save it?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 04:12:53 AM »
Have not looked at the Apple App, the answer is simple though, give it a try

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:19:57 AM »
Real time values are stored in CSV format except Hexcode uses ; instead of , as the delimiter.  At least it was that way last time I tried which was quite a while ago.  I had to first use a text editor to find and replace ; -> , before I could load the file into Numbers.   I was disappointed that Numbers could not handle the ; delimiter as it is quite common.

I don't remember how I got the values to my Mac.

BT

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
 Thanks to all those who've responded.
I'm guessing that you don't have to deal with the ; to ,
delimiter conversion issue, if you utilize the HEXCODE
provided Cloud storage feature when using an IPad?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 04:44:46 AM »
The delimiter is set within the spreadsheet program whether it is Apple/M$/or any other App so yes you need to deal with it

BT

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
Wayne:
Is there any difference in functionality or capabilities at all, between using a PC laptop and what the WiFi version can do with an iPad?
In other words will I have the exact same capabilities using the GS911 WiFi with an iPad over the cloud, that I would have using a PC laptop,
other than the ability of the laptop to function "stand alone" without internet access?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 03:07:29 AM »
In general terms the capabilities/functionality is the same between PC App and iPad/Cloud. The stand alone PC App can be quicker on some tests

I use Cloud for some testing, PC App at other times. I also use a small Win8.1 tablet with the PC App which gives me all the methods, it is the only good use for Win8 I have ever found  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:10:42 AM by WayneC »

BT

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 03:31:57 AM »
"it is the only good use for Win8 I have ever found"

My thoughts exactly! Which is precisely why I want nothing to do with buying a Windows laptop just for this purpose, however, I also don't want to buy a GS911 WiFi using the IPad, if it is hamstrung by either speed or capabilities.
Thanks you for your help, I really do appreciate it.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:46:59 AM »
I also don't want to buy a GS911 WiFi using the IPad, if it is hamstrung by either speed or capabilities.
I really cant see any reason you would be disappointed with using the GS911 WiFi with the iPad except in remote areas where cloud is not available which we have a lot of here in Oz. You still have real time logging plus read and clear fault codes where cloud is not available and that is what earlier model capabilities were anyway. In that remote situation the real time logging of the WiFi is better than the older GS911 and you can use the logging to check operation of at least some of the components which many dont think of when chasing down faults out on the road