Author Topic: GS 911 iphone interface.  (Read 7737 times)

iamstevee1

GS 911 iphone interface.
« on: October 15, 2016, 11:55:50 PM »
Newbie GS 911 wifi.  Got it hooked up and it communicates with the bike.  However i cant start the auto scan because its not highlighted on the iphone.  What gives?  Says registration is complete.  Feel like i just spent $400 on nothing...

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: GS 911 iphone interface.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 02:00:28 AM »
A little more detail re the bike model would be good  :D

After registration did you ensure the GS911 WiFi was updated to the latest firmware version ?

Rather that doing an Autoscan did you drill down through the model menu's to your model and a controller to see whether you can read any info ?

iamstevee1

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 02:34:26 AM »
Ok so I have a 2016 r1200 GS adventure.  Admittedly, I'm a Mac guy, and I knew going into this thing that it's a Windows based platform.  That being said, the GS-911wifi is advertised as being compatible with my iPhone as long as I'm using the app.  Well, it's not as far as I can tell.  I had to run parallels and windows 10 from my MacBook Pro and the device worked just fine.  Problem is my next trip is in the Big Bend area of Texas and I'm not bringing my laptop.  I need to figure out how to use this thing from my phone in the event I need to fix a fault code while I'm in the middle of nowhere

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 02:57:36 AM »
OK, thanks for the detail re your model, it is one of the new CANDiag models, the GS911 WiFi is compatible with MAC/iPhone as the interface is a web interface with maintenance functions via cloud when using the iPhone so as much as you may wish to claim it is not compatible, it is. You dont even need to use the "App" to access the GS911 web interface and there are many people out there happily using the unit with their iPhones

Running parallels and any version of windows from WinXP up to be able to use the PC application is a good move for home base, XP would be my choice, WIn10 is too problematic and has too much telemetry back to M$

You dont give any info re the mode you are trying to use the WiFi with the iPhone, are you using off line Adhoc on the WiFi unit or have you activated a hot spot on the iPhone and getting the WiFi connect to it ?

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:16:12 PM »
I need to figure out how to use this thing from my phone in the event I need to fix a fault code while I'm in the middle of nowhere

The device works quite well with ipad and iphones, but you do need to know some things.  There are two operating modes and the setup is quite different for each.

First mode (infrastructure mode): Your phone is connected to your home Wi-Fi.  The GS-911 is in infrastructure mode and is also connected to your home Wi-Fi.   All communications between the two devices goes through your home Wi-Fi.   This mode gives access to the service functions that need cloud (internet) access.

Second mode (device-to-device mode):   In this mode the GS-911 creates a network that your phone must join.  You have to open your phones Settings -> Wi-Fi screen and select the network that the GS-911 is advertising.  The name gives it away.   After your phone is connected to that network you can start  safari and enter the address 10.0.0.1 to connect to the GS-911.  In D2D mode the GS-911 will always have the address 10.0.0.1