Author Topic: 803E8E : rear seat heating, short circuit to ground  (Read 3722 times)

hanskloss69

803E8E : rear seat heating, short circuit to ground
« on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
Scanned, rear passenger seat heat doesn't work. I reset a code and now it is clear - no more error codes.
Seat is still not heating up but controller is showing heater on when toggle switch on; hi or low temperature setting.
K1600GTL - 2012, 22K miles

Before reset scan was showing:

Frequency count 15
Logistic (healing) count : 35
KL15 status : 1

Can somebody decode those for me :)

Any advice if appropriated.

Where, I can find error code explanation/manual ect. I try to google it but no luck.

THX

Hans

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: 803E8E : rear seat heating, short circuit to ground
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »
No need to go chasing meaning of codes

It was basically telling you it had generated fault codes and is no longer doing so, the logic side of the controller is operational as it is reporting turning on and off but if the seat is not heating then it is time to see if the seat heat element is faulty or the wiring to it has a fault, perhaps even the output IC has failed on the high power side.

hanskloss69

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
Thx for a quick reply
How to check heating element? What is a plug pinout or where i can find them electrical schematics.  :P
I can check a cable; pin to pin with multimeter. Output IC on high power side? How to deal with this?

Help is apritiated!

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:42:16 AM »
There is a BMW CD available with electrical diagrams for all models butr I would ask around the K1600 community and see who has diagrams, re the IC I am not sure what ECU is involved so cant comment on whether it can be opened up to replace it. The fault is far more likely to be external to the ECU though

GS Jim

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:06:34 AM »
Is the seat plugged in (may sound stupid but have you removed it lately?), check voltage on seat plug bike side, check seat for open circuit. I can't seem to find the actual schematic for your bike on the bmw dvd.

hanskloss69

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 04:38:38 AM »
Yes, seat was removed for modifications (I won't mention a company name) than after I put back and plug in I noticed: passenger side not heats up. It is plugged in, I did remove a cable and switched to other way around with a same results. Didn't run a cable check yet ( fare from home, for a few more days).
To check a plug voltage, I would need to know where to put a multimeter leads ...other words, I need to get an electrical schematic from somewhere.

GS911 is a nice diagnostic tool, but ...(again) some codes are self explanatory and some not. Is there a manual explaining error codes? Why I, would use a tool who shows me a code, which I don't know what it means? Hahah, just thinking out loud. Is a BMW dvd explaining those codes? Googling, gets me no answer. Maybe, I should use Yahoo...lol.

GS Jim

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:13:21 AM »
BMW dvd doesn't explain the codes, the dealer would if you took it in and threw him/her a wheelbarrow of cash ;D. Sometimes Shuppi will chime in. Stick the meter's probes in the plug you stick in seat and see what the dc ( i assume) voltage is.Then stick the probes in the seats plug and check for continuity. There should be two wires only? it won't matter which ones you put the probes in it will just give the voltage a negative value if it is digital, but try to match up the polarity if you want. Sounds like the company without a name may have gibbled the seat.
Throw in the whole scan maybe next time. Look at the good side, at least it's not your butt that's getting cold.

hanskloss69

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:51:31 AM »
Thx!

Full scan is clear (!) no foults, after re-setting bunch of errors, but, I save and print out the original, first scan ever :)
Saturday, when at home, I will take a closer look at the plug, I think that there is more than two wires, ex: hi vc low heat. I really appreciate your help GSjim ! If u r in States, I will buy u a beer ( or two)! 

The company, with no name, is one of the very popular here in the States for a Beemer seat rebuild ( one, the most popular, if I think about it), not with me tho. 3 times warranty and than no heat...Most folks here, are loving it, I'd say is just midiojoker for a money we spend. Meter of opinion, I guess and that's not the point of my reasearch here. I'm just picky, pain in the a.. Lol.

And yes! My seat is in a light color (hahah) trying to keep my bottoms cool...on a sunny days. How about those "winter is coming" days? Well, I have few more months to fix it!!!!  ;)