Author Topic: 1)No VIN number and 2) diagnostic Connector  (Read 9963 times)

Kåre

1)No VIN number and 2) diagnostic Connector
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:29:39 AM »
Got my gs-911 today.My bike R1150RT 2004.

1) When doing the Auto Scan no VIN no is showing under motorcycle information:(like this)  VIN:                    Mileage: Not available .   ---  Is this correct ?

2) The diagnistic connector on my bike have 5 pins connected with cable, number 1,4,6,9 and 10.
the GS-911 have also 5 pins connected (operative ?), namely: 1,2,4,6 and10. That meeans pin 9 on the bike is not connected to the GS-911,- is this correct ?

Kåre, Norway

Washburn

Re: 1)No VIN number and 2) diagnostic Connector
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »
Mine also says vin not valid and no mileage.
2007 dakar.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »
2003 R1150GS Adventure tested recently did the same!

Haakon

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »
F650 GS (with a very "basic" Hella ECU)
I have been modiyfing the EEPROM on mine and also have 5 spare ECU`s
Most of the ECU maps I used shoved the VIN of the bike they came from, some did not.
(maps = "software"- (byte by byte exact copies of original maps)
2 of the 5 prisitine ECU`s also did not show the VIN.
(one that was from a F650CS Scarver did show)
I have 2 ECUS that was "original" on MY bike (one ECU was damaged and replaced- I got the old and repaired it)
The new one does not show the VIN
I was in a hurry so I guess the mechanic forgot a step in the setup of the new.
I was there all the time and the old MoDiTec never asked for a VIN....
----------------------
On modern bikes I guess the VIN may be stored in the instrument cluster and probably other places too??   
2000 F650-GS

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:47:28 PM »
When I had the ECU replaced on my Dakar, the Moditech system wouldn't actually load the software until we had entered the VIN.

The original unit got toasted somehow and was unreadable. 

The tech that hooked it up for me said that when they get replaced by BMW they normally suck all the info off the old unit and just transfer it to the new one.  In that case, the VIN and mileage would also transfer.

In my case there was no readable info in the unit so everything had to be done manually, even the mileage.  Although the bike already had about 32000km on the clock, he said it would reflect whatever we entered, so I could "turn back the clock" if I wanted.  I opted to keep it as it was.

Possibly the older version of the Moditech software allowed loading the units without the VIN.

As stated in my earlier post, a 2003 model recently did also not reflect the VIN.  Have another one in the shop so will test that tomorrow.

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
Got my gs-911 today.My bike R1150RT 2004.
1) When doing the Auto Scan no VIN no is showing under motorcycle information:(like this)  VIN:                    Mileage: Not available .   ---  Is this correct ?
The R1150 has the MA2.4 ECU, which is a VERY old Bosch ECU and does NOT have the VIN in the ECU... hence: "Not available"

2) The diagnistic connector on my bike have 5 pins connected with cable, number 1,4,6,9 and 10.
the GS-911 have also 5 pins connected (operative ?), namely: 1,2,4,6 and10. That meeans pin 9 on the bike is not connected to the GS-911,- is this correct ?
of course it is correct - pin9 on the MA2.4 is the charging pin, connected to D+ (of the alternator). pin10 is the Ignition pin... the old bikes (MA2.4 etc) don't have this.. remember, that same GS-911 has to work for ALL the other BMW bike models too...

best,
Stephan
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Kåre

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »
Thank you Stephan for the clarification.

Kåre